We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona in the rain

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sedona in the rain

I came to Sedona for the scenery, but it's rain with more rain. What options exist for sightseeing when the weather is wet? Suggestions most welcomed.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona in the rain

Well, you are in luck that the forecast calls for rain today (Wednesday) and then a clearing trend for tomorrow and full blown sun for Friday! The bad news is that unless you want to shop for art or do indoor things like that, or hike in the rain, Sedona really has limited things to do when it is raining...

I would head south on I-17, drive to Anthem, shop at the outlets, go catch a movie, perhaps dinner and come back tonight. (It is only 1 hour or so away...)

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona in the rain

Thank you. I can't stay a couple of more nights unfortunately, but so far, the weather looks promising this a.m. Other than that, I'll have to see about a return trip another time.....

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona in the rain

Good golly--don't even THINK about going to a movie while on vacation in Sedona. If you haven't yet--then consider:

Chapel of the Holy Cross; Museum of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff; Tlaquepaque Shops; Many Art Galleries in the hillside area; drive over to Tuzigoot and visit the museum on the ancient ruin site; Same thing with Montezuma's Castle. And if all else fails, stop in somewhere, grab a poncho and take a hike in the rain. Seeing the water run through some of the small arroyos would be an experience, as would the waterfalls off the red rocks.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 15:00
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona in the rain

I agree. I would stay in the area, and we do get our ponchos on and walk in the rain! It looks like it will be off and on today. Between 11 and 3 you could consider going to the historical museum and gift shop over on Jordan Road. (Admission: $3) Or you could consider the Seven Canyons Trolley tour. Also if there's a break I've gotten some interesting photos of the clouds over the red rocks.Sometimes it's nice to duck into the Wildflower Bakery and sit near the fireplace.

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona in the rain

Weather is looking good for right now! Hiking in the rain is not for everyone...

The sightseeing options are great ideas.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 16:21
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona in the rain

Besides the sightseeing options already mentioned you might consider going out to Red Rock State Park. If it's raining there's a nice little museum and they show a amazing video of Sedona in their theater. I would never consider seeing a regular movie on vacation, but this video coud help prepare you for sunnier weather.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,287 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona in the rain

In case you haven't noticed, Sedona is still beautiful in the rain. It also makes it easier to distinguish locals from tourists. the locals are the one who are dancing in the streets.

Check out this picture that my friend Rusty took just yesterday on his way to work

…google.com/lh/…

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona in the rain

Ah, RR, what a beautiful picture. I must agree that Sedona is beautiful in all seasons and all weather. We'll be up Friday and looking forward to any kind of weather Sedona has to offer!

Sedona Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona in the rain

be careful hiking in the rain. Flash floods are a serious consideration and we will be getting more rain today. The most serious problems arise after the storm passes and water runs down from the north. People are rescued every year in Sedona for doing just that and not preparing for flooding.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedona in the rain

Wow - what a beauty. Thanks for sharing. Some of my nicest pictures of Sedona have been in the rain or just after.