We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK family needing so help please

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
UK family needing so help please

We are a family of 3 and would appreciate any help and advice please. We're flying to Las Vegas in April and would like to go to Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Palm Springs and San Diego we will have around 10-12 days. What would be the best way to tackle this journey by car and where would you advise to stay and how long at each place.

Last year we went north and west of LV taking in Death Valley, Yosemeti and SF and found planning quite easy, this is a bit more tricky.Thanks in advance for any help.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK family needing so help please

Hi

Depends on what your plans are. There are many places to visit in the Phoenix area, but staying just for the night doesn't make much sense if you drive from Sedona to Palm Springs. And what are your plans for Palm Springs and San Diego? And do you want to stay in Las Vegas for more than one night?

I give you an example:

1, Arrive Las Vegas

2. Drive to Grand Canyon NP south rim via Williams and its south entrance. You can make this an all day drive if you want to visit Hoover Dam and drive some parts of R66.

3. GCNP

4. GCNP. Leave by its east entrance. Also many places on your way to Sedona

5. Sedona

6. Drive to Phoenix for 2 nights if you want to see things.

7: Phoenix

8. Drive to Palm Springs

9: Palm Springs

10. To San Diego

10 and 12: San Diego.

So it depends on your interests.

Tet

Edited: 14 January 2011, 15:22
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK family needing so help please

You've posted in the Sedona forum, but you don't mention it in your plan.

GCNP needs one night and the best part of 2 days. Sedona is a natural place to go next and I'd advise a few nights there. But then you won't have nearly enough time for PHX and on to CA.

What are your priorities?

Essex
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK family needing so help please

Thanks for replys.

Main priorities are GCNP and San Diego, with plenty of sight seeing in between. After 2 nights in LV we've penciled in a couple of nights for GCNP and a leisurely journey with a few overnight stops on the way to San Diego, but not really sure what to visit and see on the way.

After leaving SD we intend to drive back to LV (via Mojave) and fly home from their. Not sure if we are trying to cram too much in 12 days.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK family needing so help please

In that case you won't be any where near Sedona. Too bad. It has the best scenery.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK family needing so help please

It's not that much of a detour to drive to Sedona from GC and make your way yo San Diego via Gila Bend and I8. On your way from SD to Las vegas you can hit Palm Springs then.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK family needing so help please

I agree with Red Rocks. There are numerous people who post regrets that they just came to Sedona for an afternoon or a couple of days. In our case a week was never enough, so we moved here. I suggest you read some of the trip reports and look into Sedona as a destination and consider cutting back on one of your other stops. In any case I recommend at least 12 days, as you will spend a few days on the road.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK family needing so help please

Depends of course where you are flying back from but if LA then unless you have to go to Phoenix instead spend the time in Sedona from there drive to PS then finish off in SD.

2 nights - Las Vegas

1 night - G Canyon

3 nights Sedona

3 nights Palm Springs

3 nights San Diego

Just a suggestion but not too rushed fantastic driving and real mix of scenery.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 18:02
Essex
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK family needing so help please

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think we'll give Phoenix a miss and spend a little more time in Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK family needing so help please

Good decision. You'll be glad

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK family needing so help please

I was reading a guide book over Xmas and in respect of Pheonix it claimed that unless you need to visit for a specific reason there's no real need for the tourist to go there - I've never been there so can't comment, but would others agree with this?

Edited: 15 January 2011, 23:12