We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hopi reservation

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hopi reservation

What is the best way to experience this? I see you can take a tour of Walpi. Is this interesting? What to expect?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hopi reservation

The question is, what do you expect?

N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hopi reservation

Good question, I guess I would like to see how they live and experience their culture but I also don't want to feel like an intruder in their space. Does that make sense? I see there is a 1 hour tour offered of Walpi and then also I see there are many tour guides that offer expensive tours but say that you can see a lot more. I guess I would like to know the pros and cons of each and see if this is something my husband and I would enjoy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hopi reservation

I haven't done the tour. However I have done several others with native guides at other destinations. The guides will share about the lore and history of their culture. You will not, in most cases, be interacting with natives in their current cultural environments. The people are understandably private, and their living conditions by our standards are below poverty levels.

Walpi appears to be an opportunity to observe a village where the culture has been preserved for over a thousand years. It's a relatively rare opportunity to see anything like this in the USA.

Don't worry about intruding. They won't let you. You will only be allowed to see and observe what they want you to see, for a fee.

You won't be experiencing their culture. Rather you will be exposed to it and given a chance to learn.

N. Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hopi reservation

RedRox, thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate your feedback.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hopi reservation

We tried to see Walpi two years ago. At that time only one woman was authorized to give tours and she was "having a day off" that day so we didn't get a tour. That was after missing the turn to the mesa and having to backtrack aways to find it, and almost hitting a sofa in the middle of the narrow road up to Walpi. We did enjoy the museum and dinner at the Hopi Cultural Center. I have to say we are not planning to go back.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hopi reservation

We are traveling to Sedona at the end of June and would love to take some tours as we do not have a car. Who would be the best tour company for native american tours, especially to the hopi reservation?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hopi reservation

There are several companies offering tours to this area out of Sedona. The one I am most familiar with (acquainted with their management and other personnel) is Great Venture Tours. Here is some information about their Hopi Lands Tour ->: http://greatventures.com/tours.aspx?id=7 This company also offers tours to Monument Valley and other attractions in Northern Arizona.

8. Re: Hopi reservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:15