We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

We will be driving down to Sedona from Grand Canyon South rim in the evening (end of May), staying in Uptown Sedona overnight and then heading out to Las Vegas next afternoon around 2-3 pm. We are a family of 5 (elderly parents and 3 adults). I did some search on Tripadvisor (1 day itinerary etc.) but needed some more input as to how to make the best out of our short trip.

We plan to get up early, get breakfast, start with pink jeep 2 hr tour and then drive to Holy cross chapel, then Bell rock, then drive to tlaquepaque to see shops, then finally head to Oak Canyon drive with a short lunch hault at west fork trail before heading out of Sedona.

1. 2 hour Pink Jeep tours: Scenic rim vs broken arrow: which is better and more scenic (elderly parents may not like too much of a rough roading). Is it a "must do" or can you drive yourself to see similar spots (we have a 4WD-I understand that scenic rim is on road tour and broken arrow is off road).

2. Holy Cross Chapel, Bell Rock, tlaquepaque and Oak creek canyon drive: Are any of these on our way in or out of Sedona? How long is the drive otherwise and what's best route to take to see these 4 points of interest systematically? Sedona trolley or our own vehicle?

3. Good breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions? Also any late night and early morning eateries (especially dinner on our way from Grand Canyon to Sedona).

Thank you very much. I would definitely return to Sedona to see it better but wanted to give my parents a taste of the southwest during their short US trip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

You will drive through Oak Creek canyon on your way into and out of Sedona, so you will see it twice. Don't drive in the dark. Leave the GCNP in time to arrive in Sedona before sunset. You'll get more out of seeing the canyon this way, and it will be much safer.

A hike at West Fork can take 1-6 hours. You decide how far you want to go and then turn around.

Pink Jeep Broken Arrow is the best jeep tour in Sedona. Period. You cannot get there in your own car.

Drive 3 miles south on hwy 179 from Uptown to get to the Chapel. Drive 2 more miles to walk on Bell Rock. You will see Cathedral Rock easily and from different angles on this route.

Once you finish the jeep tour you will have a great feel for Sedona. use the rest of your time to go where you feel drawn. Don't rush around trying to tick off a bunch of sights and stops. Whatever time you have should be relaxed.

Best dinner in Uptown is at Cowboy Club. Go to the CoffeePot for breakfast in west Sedona. Don't waste time going to a restaurant for lunch. Grab something for a picnic.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

Absolutely the best advice you could hope to get comes from Redrox.

Re: Tlaquepaque -- skip it. It is a fun art gallery / shopping area to visit, but I wouldn't have in as someplace you really need to visit.

After the Chapel and Bell Rock, you might make your want to Red Rock Crossing -- the back way, Down Verde Valley School Road

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

At the Chapel you may want to go to the top of the drive and drop the older people off. There may be limited handicapped parking there as well.

I do like Tlaquepaque even if for a short time!

Hope you have a chance to drive south on 179 to see Bell Rock, Courthosue Butte, and Cathedral Rock and to stop and take some pictures.

Five hours isn't much time to see everything here. I hope you can stretch that! So many people wish they could have stayed longer!!

new england
Level Contributor
265 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

All of the suggestions above! RedRox knows his stuff....trust me! If I had to leave something out it would be Tlaquepaque.....it's a lovely place to visit with great shops but, then again, it's just a beautiful shopping mall. Save it to when you have more time. I loved Oak Creek Village. Lots of little finds, there....but, perhaps another time.

Go and enjoy!! This place is AWESOME!!!

Cheers!

Contessa

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
177 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

Take the Pink Jeep Tour, or the Earth, Wisdom jeep tour! First is fabulous for the view, second gives you the spiritual flavor of Sedona (Medicine Wheel, Psychic Vortex stuff)

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

Forget any of the psychic foo-foo stuff. Firstly, no time. Secondly, a waste of time.

7. Re: Best way to see Sedona in 5 hours-Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 06:18