We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

Chatham, New Jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

Hello!

This will be my first visit to Arizona, and I'm planning on flying into Phoenix and staying in Sedona. I'd also like to see some of the Grand Canyon. I'm an intermediate-level hiker and want to do some hiking while I'm out there; however, being alone and only intermediate level, I'm not sure where I should look to hike.

Also, can anyone recommend good places to stay that are within walking distance to the downtown?

Are there any hiking trails that are within walking distance of affordable (i.e., not luxurious!) hotels in Sedona? Just wondering how much I'll need a car in Sedona, though obviously I'll need it to get to Sedona from Phoenix, and also from Sedona to Grand Canyon.

And finally, is the Grand Canyon a day-trip, or should I try to stay there overnight at least one night?

Thanks for any and all recommendations and assistance! :-)

Melissa

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,888 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

Grand Canyon is best as an overnight if you can get a room there inside the park. You can do it as a day trip from Sedona, but I prefer to stay overnight.

Uptown Sedona has plenty of good places to stay including Matterhorn, L'auberge, BW Arroyo Robles and others. Give us a budget and style.

You will use your car everyday when you are in Sedona. The idea is to get away from Uptown.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Matterhorn Inn
Matterhorn Inn
693 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
1,242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

Redrox has more experience than I and I agree try to stay a night in GC. Getting up early and seeing the sunrise is wonderful, and you can hike part way down the canyon while it is cool. Most hotels will advise where to hike in Sedona, we stayed cheap at the super 8, front desk offered advice and gave us photocopies of routes. Definitely need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

A bit farther from Uptown but still in the gallery district is Kings Ransom, which is moderately priced and has a hiking trail right out the back. But as others stated, you'll be driving around Sedona anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Chatham, New Jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Regarding budget, I'd prefer to spend less than $200 a night. At the same time, I would love to find a place that's not a chain and has a little personality so I feel like I'm somewhere special. But if personality = $$$$, then I guess I will choose less expensive over personality. ;-)

Thanks!

Chatham, New Jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

P.S. Just found an earlier post of RedRox's about places to stay/use of car in Sedona. RedRox, thanks for your valuable tips!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
6. Re: SIngle traveler in Sedona in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:17