We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

Part 1: Sedona

Can you enjoy Arizona in the rain? Of course you can!

I wanted to start by thanking Sedona MTB for setting me straight on our first trip to Sedona in 2006. She convinced me that I was planning on doing way too much in one week. On this, our third trip, we have now done everything I originally planned to do on that first week.

Saturday 9/10: We had a great morning flight to Phoenix. We stop by the house of friends in Phoenix for lunch. From there our friends follow us to Sedona where they spent the weekend with us.

Our first stop was the Sedona Summit where we checked in. Yes, it is a time share, but there are ways to avoid the sales people. When the sales person approached me after I check in, I just look at them with a pained look and told them that I had just drove all the way from Phoenix and really need to go the bathroom. Then I turned around and walked out the door to my car. I was not bothered any more that week.

We had a 2 room lock off. That is a one room kitchen/living room/bed room for our friends and a connected one bedroom for us. So everyone had their own private space. There was also a large hot tub area just outside of our front door.

For dinner we drove uptown to the Cowboy Club (Thanks RedRox) Great food and great service. Then we walked through uptown and looked at the shops.

Sunday 9/11: After morning coffee (the only thing made in those kitchens that week) on the balcony we went for breakfast at the Coffee Pot. We found the Coffee Pot on our first trip and always go back.

Then it was a short drive uptown to Pink Jeep. Even though our friends live in Phoenix, they never have time to go to Sedona. So, I thought the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour would be a great way to start. And it was. Everyone had a great time and enjoyed tour and the guide. And the rain from the night before held down the dust.

Now, our guide suggested a Prickly Pear Margarita at the Cowboy Club. So that is where we went to lunch. We had the sampler with the unique food, rattlesnake, buffalo ect. It was different, but everyone found something they liked.

Our friends suggested that we drive to Jerome for the afternoon. So we drove over to Jerome where the wives went shopping.

We came back to Sedona for dinner. I was told that our Pink Jeep driver pointed at the Hillside shops and said that there was a great place to eat up there. So we went to Shugrues. We stayed inside since it looked like it could start raining at any time. The dinner and service was good.

Monday 9/12: Everyone went to the Coffee Pot for breakfast. After breakfast, our friends headed back to Phoenix. We will be on our own the rest of the week.

Our next stop was the West Fork Trail. Everyone on the forum was right; this is a great trail for the morning. We walked about an hour and turned back.

For lunch we stopped at Indian Gardens. The patio is a great place to enjoy a quiet lunch in a garden setting.

Thank you for reading Part 1 of our Trip Report. When I have time I will write our next trip reports:

Part 2: Page

Part 3: Monument Valley

Part 4: Back to Sedona

You can view our travel pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

Good report so far and lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing and will be looking forward to your other reports.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

Thank you for sharing. We are going to Sedona for the first time in November and also staying at Sedona Summit. Looking forward to your other reports.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

Thanks for posting. I bet there are still a few things left to see and do on your fourth trip to Sedona.

MrsRedPony and I just got home from Shugrue's. Enjoyed another great dinner there. We've been regulars there since before we moved to Sedona in 2000. Although the name is still the same, it was sold last January. The new owner is the man who has been the chef for years. So the concept and quality have only gotten better.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

You are welcome rwdw! Looks like you all my favorite places to eat!

Glad to see you got to Wupatiki. Cheers!

5. Re: Trip Report Part 1: Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:18