We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

We will just have a 24 hour+ period to see the beauty in Sedona. We'll leave from Tusayan on a weekday morning and drive directly to Sedona for a one night stay, and leave sometime the next day to drive to Palm Springs. What would you recommend the most to see within that time span (much too short, I know). I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and could not walk much further than a half-hour on a fairly level surface. I will have a small scooter with me but that will only work for paved surfaces. I would really appreciate any advice to maximize our Sedona experience.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Boston
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

If you can tolerate the bouncing of a jeep, I'd recommend a Pink Jeep tour.

Mentioned in this post
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,122 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,245 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

I'll tell you what we did in that short amount of time.

We drove down from further north, so didn't have quite as much time as you'll have, but it was still a wonderful visit.

We took the road through Oak Creek Canyon out of Flagstaff (89A). This is a wonderfully scenic drive and there are many places you can stop for views or food. We also stopped at Slide Rock Park, but didn't go in. Even if you don't go down to the park there is a nice view from the bridge and a cute store.

Shortly after arriving at Sedona we drove to the Church of the Holy Cross. This is really beautiful, and has great views as well.

Then we drove out one loop of the Red Rock Loop for views of Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock and then had dinner at one of the many choices you have in the area.

The next morning we took a Pink Jeep tour (Broken Arrow) which was fabulous--though there are a couple spots where you need to walk. But it was fun and beautiful.

We spent a little time shopping in the area by the Jeep tour and then we headed out for our destinations further south.

It was a brief introduction. I understand why people love it there.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,900 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,802 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,927 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
4,940 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,122 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

How about the Sedona Trolley. There are two separate routes and it goes every hour on the hour from the centre of downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona Trolley
Sedona Trolley
315 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

I think you can enjoy the natural beauty of the area by driving around and stopping and taking pictures. As Kbecjeans said, you will be coming in through Oak Creek Canyon which is a beautiful drive. If you want to eat, I suggest Coffee Pot for breakfast or lunch.

That's in W. Sedona, so stay on 89A.

From there you can go back 89 and turn right on 179 at the "Y," and go south to Tlaquepaque, a Mexican type village with lots of cute shops. From there you would go right from the parking lot to the Chapel. There is handicapped parking at the top of the driveway, or the attendant will probably let you park there. In addition to the Chapel there is also a wonderful panoramic view.

From there you can go south to the Village of Oak Creek, which is where you will see Bell Rock, Courthouse Butte, and Cathedral Rock. No doubt you will want to stop and take pictures there.

You could skip Tlaquepaque and see that in the evening, though the shops may be closed. Also you could go to Airport Mesa in the early evening to see the panoramic view and the sunset..

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,900 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Coffee Pot Restaurant
Coffee Pot Restaurant
2,656 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,927 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
4,940 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Airport Mesa
Airport Mesa
2,327 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

Kate gives excellent advice and Kbecjeans made the absolute most of her time in Sedona.

The point is that you can do it in your car without having to walk long distances. The trolley tours are nice because the driver narrates and tells you what you are driving by, but they are all places that you can easily get to in your car. A jeep tour will take you beyond that and the narrative will be more entertaining too.

You might want to employ your scooter if you spend time at Tlaqupaque, but I'd try to do more sightseeing first.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

Thanks, everyone for the great advice. It certainly helps in planning our trip and is much appreciated!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

A Pink jeep tour is a must, we took the broken arrow/ scenic rim combo , actually two tours as the jeep returns to base for a toilet break, fabulous way to see the rocks. very little walking reqd , bit bumpy in parts but well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,122 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

Hi bcgirl62,

I just returned from a trip to Sedona and discovered a great place called The Hike House (www.thehikehouse.com). They have a very cool on-screen interactive menu that helps you find the right places to hike - or take a walk. It's a free service and I think they could help you find a very short, very level place where you could get a sense of the area. While you are at The Hike House, try one of their fantastic Red Rock trail cookies.

Enjoy.

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
The Hike House
The Hike House
292 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Red Rock Cafe
Red Rock Cafe
1,802 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

That sounds great! Thanks, Elizabeth!

10. Re: One day in Sedona, unable to walk far

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:16