We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Hi there,

We are (2 adults and 1 child (11)) planning to visit Sedona, Monument valley, four corners, Carlsbad caverns, and maybe stop by at Rosewell, NM. We have 6 days during christmas time. Any suggestions on making this trip doable? If yes, what is the best place to fly in to cover all of these? We will be coming from SF bay area.

Your suggestions, ideas are most welcome.

thanks

Swamy

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

It looks like you would spend roughly 24 hours in your car to do this. I suggest you see Sedona, and Monument Valley this time and visit Carlsbad Caverns and Roswell on another trip.

If you/other readers want to know how long your planned itinerary will take, go to Mapquest, enter your destinations and then when you see the map, you can change the order by moving destinations up or down. Be sure to include the airport, which in this case is Pnoenix.

The order would be Sedona, Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly, and Four Corners. I haven't been to Four Corners, but most people suggest other places like the Grand Canyon instead.

Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Thanks Kate. I know it is a bit of driving. My plan: option 1- fly into Albuquerque, rent the car and go to Carlsbad and come back to sedona side via monument valley. Option -2, fly into Phoenix, do Sedona, monument valley, Four Corner, then drive to Carlsbad, see around and come back to Albuquerque and fly back home. As you suggested, maybe I should do two trips to cover them all. For either option flight is very reasonable for two one ways. Can get for $256(total) from SFO for dec 24 to Dec 31.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 20:26
Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Thanks Kate. I know it is a bit of driving. My plan: option 1- fly into Albuquerque, rent the car and go to Carlsbad and come back to sedona side via monument valley. Option -2, fly into Phoenix, do Sedona, monument valley, Four Corner, then drive to Carlsbad, see around and come back to Albuquerque and fly back home. As you suggested, maybe I should do two trips to cover them all. For either option flight is very reasonable for two one ways. Can get for $256(total) from SFO for dec 24 to Dec 31.

Been to GC many times, so no interest.

thanks

Swamy

Edited: 01 November 2011, 20:28
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

I'm agreeing with Kate. Not just because it's a lot of driving. More so because with 6 days there is so much between Sedona and Monument Valley that you'll be missing by running off to New Mexico.

Reconsider and plan a better trip.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

I LOVE Carlsbad Caverns. They are really a unique place to visit. I would suggest that two days at the caverns can be a great way to really experience them. They were a highlight of my trip to New Mexico this most recent summer.

But note...it was a trip to New Mexico! I can't conceive how it would work well at all to combine with Sedona and Monument Valley, especially for such a short trip. I think you'll be much happier making two trips.

When you do decide to go to Carlsbad, you might want to look at this short Traveller Article I wrote on spending two days at the caverns: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143018-c164300/Carls…

You can also find more details on my trip report. Check out replies #15 and 16. tripadvisor.com/…35185385

For what it's worth? Roswell is a non-starter and kind of a waste of time.

Keith

Edited: 02 November 2011, 08:07
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

It's still along way from ABQ to Carlsbad and days are short that time of year. One of the highlights at Carlsbad Caverns NP are the bats fly out at dusk and the rangertalk but no more bats in december. Plus there's Guadaloupe Mountains NP (Tx) close by and White Sands NM also is in SE NM. Roswell is a tourist trap but that's just mho. Bosque del Apache south of ABQ is worth visiting also so is the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area but there will be snow. Cloudcroft is 9000' I'd make NM a seperate trip. You can espect snow at other places also though.

Tet

Fremont, ca
Level Contributor
118 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Thanks Redrox, KthSch and Tet14. Excellent advice. We are dropping NM altogether for now and only do Sedona, and Monunment Valley.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

I agree that NM is too much. I also see that you do not have Grand Canyon on your list, a must see especially if there is snow! Make sure you check weather and road conditions before heading to Monument Valley and Northern AZ. December/January can have winter storms that can close highways. Travel with food, water, sleeping bag, small shovel and plenty of winter clothing.

Day 1 arrive Phoenix. To Sedona

Day 2 Visit Sedona

Day 3 Sedona/GC

Day 4 to Monument Valley

Day 5 Monument Valley and then to Flagstaff AZ. See Wupatki and Sunset Crater Nat Mon.

Day 6 Back to Phoenix

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

Stay flexible with your schedule. Wait out any heavy snow storms as the roads are unforgiving.

Have an enjoyable safe trip.

Edited: 08 November 2011, 05:26
10. Re: Sedona, monument valley, Carlsbad cavern itinerary..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:19