We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona - one day itinerary

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sedona - one day itinerary

My family of four is planning a day trip to Sedona from Scottsdale at the end of November. We would like to do the following and would like some help in deciding order. Any advice (to both the itinerary and timing) would be appreciated.

- chapel of holy cross

- oak creek canyon

- bell rock

- pink jeep tour (2 hrs)

- sunset at Yavapai Restaurant

We plan on getting an early start but not sure what time we need to do everything before sunset. Also if you could suggest a quick lunch place along the way, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited: 03 November 2011, 02:57
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

If you start early you'll be in Sedona long before lunchtime. Don't underestimate traveltime before you're out of Scottsdale. Once you're at the interstates count on 2 hours to get to Sedona. A nice place for a stop is Rock Springs Cafe. Days are short in n ovember so already count on 4 hours on the road plus the time you'll need for the Sedona attractions. Don't miss Chapel of the Holy Cross indeed.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

In November plan to take the noon PJ tour, as it will be warm then. (Make a reservation early.)

Plan to leave Scottsdale early and stop at Bell Rock in the Village of Oak Creek, where you can hike for an hour or so. Head to the Chapel of the Holy Cross (opens at 9) and from there take 179 into the main part of town. Turn right at the Y and park at Sinagua Plaza and pick up sandwiches at Sedona Memories. From there go to Pink Jeep for the noon tour. After that take a short drive through Oak Creek Canyon. Hopefully you will have a chance to go to the creek.

Then you will take 89A all the way across town to Yavapai Restaurant. It's a beautiful drive out there.

Be sure to bring water, especially if you plan to hike, and be aware that traffic laws are strictly enforced. Be sure to drive carefully after dark. There is not much lighting in town and to the Interstate, and for most of the way you will be on a two lane road.

Weston...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

Thanks! What time do you think we should leave from Scottsdale to get everything in?

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

On the upper right hand side of this Sedona Forum page, there is a question in the Frequently asked Questions section titled: "Can I visit Sedona for just one day from Scottsdale or Phoenix". I would suggest you review that question and the answers. It will lay out a great one day itinerary.

As to when you should leave Scottsdale, remember at the end of November the daylight hours are close to the shortest of the year. Leave as early as you possibly can as your afternoon will be cut short by the short days.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

I would suggest this order.

1) Hike Bell Rock (go to the second parking lot/vista just to the north of Bell Rock. There are trails going everywhere, take a look at the kiosk map in the parking lot.

2) Chapel of the Holy Cross

3) Drive up Oak Creek Canyon and have lunch at Indian Gardens Country Store great sandwiches and historic ambiance; just five miles past Uptown Sedona.) Also check out Garland's Jewelry next door. It will be cold in the canyon in late November as very little sun reaches the down to the bottom where the road is. The leaves will have mostly fallen by then so you'll have a great view of the cliffs. Park at the vista at the top of the switchbacks and enjoy the view.

4) Park in Uptown for a 2 or 3 PM Jeep tour, lunch more digested by this time. It can be a little uncomfortable doing the Broken Arrow tour on a full stomach!

5) I'm not so sure you'll see much of a Sunset from Enchantment. It's located at the mouth of a box canyon and it's more driving. I would suggest the Airport Vista on top of the airport or, if you can find a parking space, the red rock saddle half way up Airport Road.

I think schedule would mix up the driving activity well.

6. Re: Sedona - one day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:16