We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

We are arriving on Thursday evening (around 7pm local) and will be driving up to the Auberge resort. How long will the drive take and what route would be best? Many thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,561 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Easy but dark once you get out of PHX. From Sky Harbor follow signs to I-17 north. Take it all the way to exit number 298 for Sedona, Hwy 179. Follow Hwy 179 15 miles to where it ends at 89A. Go right at the roundabout and L'Auberge will be the first road on the right, down the hill.

Allow about two hours. Too bad you'll be arriving in the dark. You'll be amazed when you wake up and see the surroundings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Thank you RedRox- yes, we had first planned to stay in Phoenix overnight, but have had some hotel issues. Glad to hear the drive will be straightforward- we will enjoy the scenery on the way back!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

We will be driving from the Phoenix Airport to Sedona and plan a stop at Montezuma's Castle in a few weeks.

Any suggestions for where to stop for lunch before Montezuma's?

If no place, should be buy sandwiches in the airport and have a picnic at the Montezuma's castle site? I read that there are picnic tables along the creek.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,561 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Stop for lunch at exit 242 off I-17 at the Rock Springs Cafe. It's an historic site and a fun way to settle in to the Arizona spirit. From there it's less than an hour up to Montezumas Castle and less than a half hour from MC to Sedona.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Thank you RedRox. I love that idea, but I've read mixed reviews about the food there, although apparently the pies are great.

What do you think about the food?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

I think you posted this question on another forum and I answered, but really, don't worry about the food. You can always get soup/chili or salad and a piece of pie. To me its the experience of this place that counts. It's historic and a really "western" place. It certainly is not gourmet food but I would be very surprised if you don't like your stop there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,561 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

I too replied to you elsewhere.

I've never had bad food at Rock Springs Cafe. It's comfort food, served in an historic and rustic setting. it's a favorite for bikers and cowboys as well as tourists, and all are welcome. Arrive with an open mind. Don't expect Pennsylvania.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Definitely not Pennsylvania - that's what we enjoy about it :-)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

Rock Springs hasn't been a real "cowboy" town since the stage coach stopped running (a long time ago). Yes, week-end doctor and dentist "bikers" pull in there. But, it is basically a garage (pray you don't break down there) with an increasing number of tourist trap vendors. Yes the pies are good and if you find yourself there about mid-morning pull in for a slice, but don't waste much time on the trinkets. As for the food in general, unmemorable...never has been...never had to be.

10. Re: Drive from Phoenix Airport to Sedona Auberge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:41