We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

La Grange Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sedona in January. I've read through many reviews of the area's b&b's and inn's but still am not able to make a decision. We are not typically b&b stayers as we like some privacy - this is a short trip for us and so we're looking for a lodging option in a setting with nice views and a luxurious-feeling room. Casa Sedona, Lodge at Sedona, Amara, Briar Patch, Boots & Saddles have caught my eye so far. Around $200/night. What lodging would you suggest for a 30-something couple on a 3 day outing without the kids?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

If you want to try a B&B, Sedona might be the place to do it. The B&Bs here are among the finest in the nation. Privacy is paramount and personal service is key. You are likely to find more little touches of luxury in a B&B than a resort or hotel, unless you choose something in a top tier, price wise.

Don't fret about views. They are everywhere. The views you remember from Sedona will not be the ones you see from your room. In fact, your memories of Sedona will all be outdoors, not at your lodging facility. However, if you want to be greeted with a friendly smile from a staff member who knows your name and offers you something special when you walk in the door, choose a B&B.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Agreeing about the B&Bs. Sedona has many great B&B options, and they are all very competitive, so service and amenities tend to be exemplary. There are also plenty of B&Bs with great views, if that's important to you. (It is for DH and I!) As for privacy - unless you choose a room with a shared bath, you'll have privacy at almost any B&B. In Sedona, most inns only have rooms with private baths anyway, and the innkeepers are generally experienced enough to know when guests want to be left alone, versus the guests who are chatty and extra sociable. Some inns will even serve you breakfast in your room, if you prefer that to the main dining room.

For views, luxurious rooms, and excellent food and service, you might try Sedona Cathedral Hideaway, Canyon Villa B&B, or the Inn on Oak Creek. All have great views, (some with views from your room and/or private jacuzzi tub), great service, food, and other amenities. Perfect for a relaxing getaway!

Edited: 18 December 2011, 22:07
ma.
Level Contributor
49 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Try the cozy cactus in oak Creek. My Wife and I stayed there in oct. This was the first time i ever stayed at a B-B. Its was one of the best trips Thanks to Mark and Carrie the owners of the B-B,their hospitality was unbeilable. The room was very private quiet and clean. They even had a well stocked mini Kitchen with micro, coffee maker, dishes utensils fridge and even popcorn. In the morning you have a really awesome breakfast served either on the terrace or inside. Then you can walk right out the back yard to many trails including red rock. I loved where we stayed and surely will return.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Middleboro's post is demonstrative of what I often say. Cozy Cactus is a nice place in The Village of Oakcreek and enjoys good reviews. In contrast to other B&Bs around Sedona it is probably lower on the list than many others. But IMO the worst B&B in Sedona is much better than the best that you'll find in most other vacation destinations. The competition drives the quality.

I'm not knocking Cozy Cactus. I'm saying that if you decide to stay at a B&B you'll most likely have a fabulous experience, no matter which one you choose.

La Grange Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Thank you for the feedback, I've enjoyed researching lodging options and planning this trip!

A few more places I'm seeking an opinion on...and an additional note that my husband and I aren't typical b&b stayers as we like time along on trips when we're without our kids. We're not looking for a b&b where everyone eats breakfast together and its a place for socializing.

El Portal or Junipine?

The Adobo Grand and L'Auberge seem fantastic but worth the price?

Keep coming back to Amara since seems nice & good location & good price but seems generic compared to the b&b's.

Thanks again for any feedback!

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

El Portal is in a good location and is a stunning building. Many rooms have private patios, every room is different. No group breakfasting required. We've stayed at L'Auberge several times & enjoyed it but El Portal is our new favorite after spending our anniversary there 2 years ago.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Adobe Grande is more about the rooms. El Portal is indeed stunning. No social gatherings for breakfast anywhere. In Sedona, everyone is allowed their own pace.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Agreeing with RR and GhostTown about the "breakfast gathering". And see again my post #2 - most B&Bs in Sedona will be happy to offer you breakfast in your room or on your balcony if you prefer; just ask about it before you book. But even if you have breakfast in the dining room, there are always quiet tables for 2. It's not a big deal; you aren't required to socialize. A lot of couples come to Sedona B&Bs for romantic getaways, honeymoons, and anniversaries, and are more interested in each other than in socializing. And my DH and I have done both at B&Bs all over the country - sometimes we socialize, and other times we don't.

Also agree that Adobe Grande is all about the rooms. Is it worth the price? ::shrugs:: That's subjective, and it's up to you. Personally in Sedona, I don't think AG is worth the price.

L'Auberge - mixed reviews on service (a fact I can attest to; some employees are great, others are not - it's a mixed bag), but their spa rooms and creekside cottages are wonderful. Beware some of the room locations, though - some of the buildings look out onto the rooftops of other buildings.

Junipine - this is located in Oak Creek Canyon, not in Sedona. It's about a 10-20 minute drive into Sedona, depending on traffic. The location is gorgeous, but be aware that these are older buildings and are timeshare units, individually owned. The decor and layout is kind of an older style; a plus is that they all have full kitchens and most have fireplaces. Some of the units have jacuzzi tubs on the decks, but when we were there with a few friends recently, the tub wasn't working. Junipine in general is more suited to family groups than a romantic getaway, IMHO.

El Portal has great rooms and does have a good location, and they often have great deals online. If it's between Amara and El Portal, I'd choose El Portal.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 23:51
La Grange Park...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

Again, fantastic feedback - thank you! I was able to find a great deal on El Portal putting it very near Amara's cost...so we're going with El Portal. I'll re-post my feedback after our stay later this month. Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed and Breakfast versus Inn versus Resort

You're welcome! Have a great time! :)

Get answers to your questions about Sedona