We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 1-4 Trip Report

Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
February 1-4 Trip Report

I just wanted to give a quick report on our little getaway to Sedona since everything I planned was off of information I got on this forum.

We flew into Phoenix on Wed 2/1. After a hectic day with a missed connection our plans for a nice scenic drive were no more. We rented our car and it took us about 2 hours to get to Sedona. We arrived around 9:30pm and checked into L'auberge.

I'm so happy we chose L'auberge. The service was absolutely fantastic. It really sticks by the no tip policy. My husband tried to tip the valet and they told us they weren't allowed to receive gratuities. We had a Spa Cottage. I loved that we weren't surrounded by other rooms and had no neighbors to really contend with. The rooms were spacious, high end linens, fireplace, a beautiful bathroom, outdoor shower and deck. We also used the pool, which was heated, as well as the hot tub after hiking. The only downfall...they did advertise fresh scones and muffins with morning coffee in the lobby. They were so pitfully small..you couldn't rely on it for breakfast. The hotel bar was also tiny and drinks were outrageously expensive but we expected it. At night they had the fire pits on the deck lit and heaters so you could enjoy the creek. Again, I was so happy that I chose this place. Our runner up was Enchantment..after seeing that it was a little ways out of town, I'm glad we chose L'auberge.

Our primary activity was hiking. On our first full day we chose to hike Brins Mesa. It was a nice, pretty easy hike. We were some of the only people out. The weather was nice..layers helped as we did get warm in some spots. After that we went to Bell Rock and planned to do the Courthouse loop. One trailed head was closed due to maintenance. We found the other one. We climbed Bell Rock and then decided not to do the Courthouse Loop since there were tons of families, little kids running around etc and kind of crowded.

Our second day we hiked Boynton Canyon. We enjoyed it. It wasn't too cold, the paths were clear. I thought we might encounter some icy spots but overall a great hike. easy but longer.

Other activities or places we saw...took a ride out to Montezuma's Castle..I thought for some reason it was free..it's a $5 charge but it was neat to see. We also visited the Chapel of the Holy Cross..beautiful but extremely busy.

We also did a Pink Jeep tour. We opted for the Scenic Rim/Broken Arrow. If I could do it again, I'd skip the Scenic Rim. Broken Arrow was great. Only downfall...we were smashed into that Jeep with 4 other adults, one being a big guy. That took away from the experience a bit. We had to also keep rearranging the seating to distribute the weight and I was seldom sitting next to my husband.

Places we ate...Sedona Memories..such a good spot to grab a sandwich. Best turkey sandwich I've ever eaten! Elote- very crowded but we expected it. We waited for 45 minutes. We were up for bar seats or community seating which probably cut a chunk of time off that wait. Food was very good! We also made it to Harry's Hideaway. It was fun to find a little hidden gem that's off the beaten path. The food was great! We also hit the Wildflower Bread Co. for a quick breakfast and were happy with it. It reminded me of a chain we have out here called Panera Bread.

Overall, we loved Sedona. It's so beautiful and just so different from the East Coast. I think we hit it on the head with the hotel and places to eat and was just sad that we didn't have more time to hike and explore!

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Silver Spur Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
652 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
62,225 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

Thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed it, and not surprised by your final sentence. You are echoing the most often expressed sentiment.

Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it all worked out really well for you. Hopefully you will come back again and see some more.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

Great trip report! I know people will enjoy reading about your stay at L'Auberge. It is beautiful.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

thanks for the TR it sure helps with planning.

6. Re: February 1-4 Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:34