We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona, only 1 full day!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona, only 1 full day!

I am travelling from Tucson to the Grand Canyon in July, I have booked two nights in Sedona on the way to break up the journey. I am wondering what's the best way to spend our one full day?

Thanks!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

I would definitely include a jeep tour.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

i'd take a jaunt over to jerome and hike/walk around oak creek, as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

Agree with Billy, especially Oak Creek Canyon to get out of the full sun heat.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,833 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

Do a jeep tour. Visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Take a drive up Oak Creek Canyon and hike the West Fork trail for a few hours.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

concerning Sedona you have got a lot of tips - definitely go to Oak Creek Canyon to look at Cathedral rock - on the way up to Grand Canyon try to take time to stop at Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater - best drive into Sunset Crater and continue on the loop road to Wupatki - the National Monument includes cool redrock Indian ruins, a ball field a ceromony ring and a blow hole.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,833 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

Cathedral Rock is not in Oak Creek Canyon. It is in Sedona on the south side of town. If you enter via Hwy 179 you will see it on the left.

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

EEEEEK! Start your outdoor activities before breakfast around 6 AM but make sure you are in by 10 AM. Eat and drink well. If you will be in the greater Sedona area during mid-afternoon spend it by Oak Creek. Jerome has a little respite if you like to shop and Uptown and Tlaquepaque is OK with the misters during the afternoons if you are wearing anti-odorizing clothing. The evenings in Sedona are really beautiful though.

Oh, oh, yes.... If you go to Jerome and want to escape the heat and hike there is a most magnificent trail called the Whetherford trail above Jerome that is spectacular in July! Let me know and I will get you more details.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

"Anti-odorizing clothing"? Pardon my ignorance, what on earth is that? Will it be extremely hot? I'm ok in the heat, considering I come from one of the coolest, wettest places on earth!! Are the tour companies like "pink jeeps" worth looking into?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

Is the chapel the one across from that "butt-ugly" house.

(this is an old picture - I've heard many versions of the story, none of which I can recall right now) but in googling it: "it was actually being built by the Dr. who invented the laser for Lasik eye surgery and he is from Romania. " As of early 2008, it was still being built and there are apparently issues with the house. I dont know if it was ever completed, if Doc moved in or he sold it.

www.flickr.com/photos/wetbaloney/357151348/

Sedona, AZ
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedona, only 1 full day!

Susan9433: It's REALLY hot mid day in sedona in July. Heatstroke is common and the SRD is busy with rescues. Anti-odorizing cloths was a joke or better yet wishful thinking. If you are not acclimated to a hot environment please take the heat seriously. When you are here you will hear this everywhere, take a bottle of water wherever you go. It does cool down nicely in the evening as Sedona hovers around 4,500 feel in elevation.