We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plainview, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

Is the Broken Arrow tour very rough and bouncy? I have a weak lower back.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

This is a very good question that never seems to be addressed here. You will be riding a Jeep with very stiff suspension over bouncy dirt trails. It should be obvious to most, and pointed out to all, that it can become very jarring, especially for those with spinal problems, weak kidneys, loose dentures and many other infirmities. These Jeep tours are not for everyone, no more than hiking around rocks in the desert heat are for everyone. Care should be taken, and advice should be given about this.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

yogamom,

if you mention your back prob when you book the tour, they will sit you in the front with the driver, its not as bumpy in the front seats...

if you do book, just make sure to mention this to the driver / guide..

when i did my tour a couple of yrs ago there was a lady with similar probs, she found it ok.... but just beware ..

rgds ..

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

Those of us with bad backs (there are many of us and many degrees of "bad") know to protect them at any cost. "Not as bumpy" can mean many things. One bad bounce and the entire vacation can be destroyed. It's just not worth it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

Actually the question comes up often and the threads are numerous.

The best advice is to first ask your doctor whether you should consider an off road jeep tour. If he/she is OK with the idea then you'll need to use your own discretion and communication skills with the jeep company.

Explain your issues to the booking agent. They get inquires all the time. As much as they want your business, they don't want an unhappy or uncomfortable customer.

There are many tours available and some are tamer than others. They might recommend one over another based on what you communicate as your concerns. Finally, request the front passenger seat to minimize bouncing on whatever tour you choose.

The most popular tour is the Broken Arrow trail with Pink Jeep. The trail involves steep ascents and descents and negotiating bumps and obstacles that most normal off road vehicles could not manage. These jeeps are specially designed and engineered. But they use extremely low gears when negotiating these obstacles and travel very slowly. High speeds and 4 wheels off the ground just doesn't happen. There are other trails for that, and you won't be assigned one of those unless you ask for it.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 19:05
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
284 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

They allow children as young as 18 months on the Broken Arrow tour. I'm not sure I'd take a child that young, but our 4 year old loved it. The bumpiest parts were driven over slowly. I wouldn't say there is anything extreme about the tour, although it is off-roading vs. smooth asphalt.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

Consult your doctor and relay your concern to Pink Jeep. That said I've done the tour and suffered no ill effects. Yes I have back problems.

new england
Level Contributor
398 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

FWIW, we took the Broken Arrow tour just last week. There were 8 people in the jeep, including the (excellent) driver. I was sitting along the side/middle, facing inward. Though we all loved the ride and never felt imperiled, I can tell you that there were 3 or 4 moments where, had I not been wearing a very tight seatbelt, I definitely would have been pitched out of my seat in a sideways twisting motion. The teens loved it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

If you have to ask these questions, don't do this tour. I've done it with commercial tours, mountain biking and in private vehicles. My back is fine but I felt out of sorts on several occations. I've also know people to be in so much pain after this tour private or commercial that spent a lot of time in bed or seeking medical referrals or worse yet cancel tours with me!!!!

If you you decide to do this tour and have a problem let us know I can give you the name(s) of "triage" units (message, chiropractic, etc) that can help you!

Jeeze, this is a fun tour but not if you have ANY back issues. It's not worth ruining your vacation. If you know yourself you don't need to spend the money on your doctors advice of the palpative of wearing "tight" seatbelt. It won't make any difference; a jolt to the spine is a jolt to the spine.

Hiking is much more wonderful here, why pay a penny when you can get it for free. Visti the Coconino National Forest Visitors Center on hwy 179 on your way into Sedona and you will get a better naritive than any commercial tour operator and more.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

I guess no Pink Jeep tour for me either....Walking trails might work (If I can go potty someplace - LOL) but i would never walk alone.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pink Jeep tours very bouncy

MTB: What's this about biking options? It seems all we ever hear about is Pink Jeeps. Even with my bad back I can do a bike (it's actually good for me). What options are available?