We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

My husband and I will be in Sedona the beginning of June. We were there in 2005 but only toured in and around the town by car. We vowed to come back and this time secured reservations at Sky Ranch....can't wait! I have had back surgery so the Pink Jeep tours are out. My question is, we are "young" senior citizens who enjoy walking rather than hiking. Are there any trails in and around Sedona that easy for us to attempt? Since we are going to GCNP, I would ask the same question about walking trails. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

At GCNP you can always just go walking along the rim trail (supposing you mean south rim). It's more or less level and it's paved. It's also paved / or 'improved' around all the overlooks/viewpoints along the rim. You can also try to go a short distance into the canyon on Bright Angel trail. It's winding down in wide serpentines, so the actual trail itself is not extremely steep as such even though you do negotiate quite a change in elevation, but the trail itself is easy to walk. There are some (low) steps built into it to make it easier and stabilize the trail. People do this in sandals and flip flops - which i definjitely do NOT recommend, just to show what kind of trail it is ...in any case, you'll be fine there.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 14:26
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Thanks, Etsy666, we have a reservation at Yavapai for 2 nites. We will definitely attempt the Bright Angel trail!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Congrats on securing lodging at a rim lodge! and I'm convinced you'll absolutely love it! And it's great you have two nites. Any walk you go on, make sure you have some water bottles with you. Pure heat is a dry heat, and even though June up at GC may not be too hot, the air is dry and people get dehydrated even without excessive sweating - always make sure you drink before you're thirsty!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Thanks again, good advice!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Virtually all walking trails around Sedona are low impact and well manicured and maintained. Elevation changes are minimal unless you start to climb something like Bell Rock or Cathedral Rock or Bear Mountain. Walk the Bell Rock Pathway.

In Oak Creek Canyon the most incredible walk is at West Fork. You'll be in the shade and you'll cross the creek often.

On the west side of town go to Red Rock Crossing and walk along the creek there.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Thanks, we will definitely try your recommendations. Like I said, we are "young" senior citizens and we want to take in as much of Sedona as our 3 days will allow. We are staying at Sky Ranch so I know we will enjoy our sunrise and sunsets. June can't come soon enough!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

I suggest Bell Rock Pathway which you have probably already hiked. If you want to try another place try Red Rock State Park, Crescent Moon Park is really easy and has spectacular views, Dead Mans Pass at the Boynton Canyon Trailhead, Centennial trail located at the Cultural Park is semi-paved, Faye Canyon is relatively flat as is the first section of Long Canyon.

The problems for you will likely be the steep ups and downs which most of the trails here.The trails I mention above are quite tolerable and rewarding and you don't have to hike long on the trail for the rewards.

I just mention a few easy options. Let me know if you need more info.

You can pick up a free map at the Forest Service Visitors Center on Hwy 179 on your way into Sedona or the Visitors Center in Uptown Sedona.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Thanks so much for the ideas. We will get a map and circle the areas we want to visit. We have 3 days and I'm sure we can get in two or three of the trails you suggested.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

Great, glad to be of help.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Low impact walking trails in Sedona?

In addition to the Bell Rock Pathway, continue on the Courthouse Loop. You might also visit Palatki for some native rock art and some limited walking.