We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peridots

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
peridots

I'm coming to AZ in two weeks, part of the time will be spent in Sedona but the first part of the trip will be spent in Morenci. I was thinking of making a quick stop at the San Carlos Culture Center to look at the Peridots and other offerings and wonder if you think its a worth while stop or if you have other suggestions. I posted this to Sedona instead of San Carlos because the more recent post there is 2008.

Thanks in advance. Kate

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: peridots

What the heck are you going there for? Sorry to be so forward. I have no idea except that it's south of Sedona and has lots of spring flowers according to Wiki. It's still winter here or it should be in any case......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peridot,_Arizona

I am sure the San Carlos Center is fascinating and I should have visited there by now as I've lived here for about 15 years. It's embarasing, tears.....

sancarlosapache.com/San_Carlos_Culture_Cente…

Have you tried calling them? I see they have a phone number. I've been to these types of remote or less updated sites in the Southwest and often they will find someone to give you a tour or at least talk to you. Please tip well and let us know what "happens."

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peridots

sedonamtb...

you should be ashamed. a pox upon you!...lol. (of course you know i'm kidding)

gophergirl...

it is absolutely worth a stop, if you're interested in native american (primarily apache) culture and history. these folks know the southwest like no one else. just the idea of them sharing it with people is quite special.

i'm the father of a part native american son. i always urge him to learn more about this part of his heritage....and to take great pride in it. "indians" are very, very misunderstood in the white mans world. they really do have a special 'way'...and it should never be lost and/or sold short.

by all means....go!

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peridots

We're heading there because it's on the way to Morenci. And I am very interested in native culture. Being from Minnesota we have a large and very active native population here so it will be nice to learn about the Apache. I'll definitely include it in my trip report when I return. Thanks to both of you for your reply, I'd all but given up hope.

Kate

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peridots

Billy, Yes, I am embarrassed because I have minor in anthropology but studied more archaeology than ethnology. I've spent many weeks roaming site in the four corners area and have participated in research at NAU but I just haven't explored much in Southern AZ or New Mexico. When I think of San Carlos I am reminded of the history of the camp and I feel sad. I've been to several of the Japanese detention camps in CA and it's just eerie. If there is so much to do there I am surprised that the TA site is not active. I also found the Apache Nation website has a lot of missing hyper-links. Probably hasn't been updated in awhile.

There is a museum at Fort Verde in Camp Verde that devotes quit a bit of display space to the Apache scouts that worked with General Crook. Just small piece of modern Apache history. The two sites are related by history by the way.

Thanks for posting Gophergirl, another reminder that there is so much to see and do here in Arizona!

Oh, here is a link to the "Indian" Scout video at Fort Verde.

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/FOVE/video.html

Edited: 08 March 2012, 17:22
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
937 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: peridots

My sister lives in Safford which is just south of Morenci. Yes, it is worth visiting.

They used to have a tour of the copper mine. Interesting to see if they still offer it.

minneesota
Level Contributor
226 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: peridots

Thanks for the info I think we will be stopping.

7. Re: peridots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:41