We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to Sedona

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
LA to Sedona

Hello! My husband and I are driving for the first time from Los Angeles to Sedona. We are planning to leave early saturday am. I was wondering if there was any specific scenic route any one could recommend, but still allow us to make it there by early evening??? Thank-you!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to Sedona

First across the Mohave, that's similar wherever you cross, so take I-10 into Arizona, then take 60 to Wickenburg - a place to stop and walk around a bit, have a drink and a snack, it's a genuine, authentic western town.Then head up 89 to Prescott and on to Jerome along 89A, perched on the side of Mingus Mountain with panoramic vistas to a far horizon - and the red rocks of Sedona. Jerome is an old silver mining town, then ghost town, but still inhabited, not with lots of quaint shops. From there head on to Sedona. Get an early start as planned and this will easily put you into Sedona by evening, in time for sundown.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to Sedona

That is the absolute most perfect way to go from the LA Basin to Sedona, especially if it is your first trip. The only thing I would add is to stop in Salome on the 60 for a good cup of coffee and a juicy slice of pie. If you find a town you like, you might want to think about spending a night there on the way back.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to Sedona

Allow about 10 hours for the route described above. Sticking with I-10 to Loop 101 and I-17 will be closer to 8 hours. Also scenic but from 4 lane divided interstate highways as opposed to 2 lane roads in the country and up into the mountains.

Regardless, you will be traveling through a variety of environments and changing elevations by more than 5000 feet.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to Sedona

If you are indeed leaving early Saturday morning,you have two options, both of which will put you into Sedona well before dark. You can take the I-10 and see nothing different from what you see in LA, stop in truck stops and eat at Subways. There is very little "scenic" about the I-10, 101 and I-17. In addition, the 6% grade climbs up and down on the I-17 with sudden cross-winds are a lot more scary than anything found on the other route. Or, you can take the very scenic recommended route and actually enjoy your travels as well as the destination. Up to you. To each his own. Enjoy!

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to Sedona

Wow! Thank-you! you guys are great! I really appreciate your help and the food suggestions are a bonus :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to Sedona

You also can take I15 to Barstow, I40 to Flagstaff and az89A south to Sedona. Probably will be fastest but not much faster than I10 and I17. And RedRox is right, the more scenic drive via Wickenburg, Prescott and Jerome will take several hours longer.

Tet

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA to Sedona

If you're into the trip and the grub:

Have your pie brunch in Salome. Drive through the gorgeous hills and sculpted boulders heading into Wickenburg. Get out and take a look at the the really authentic western town. Make sure you wak up or drive up one street to the street along the railroad tracks. Then eat in one of the authentic small town diners. They are all great and come with the "what'll ya have Hon" waitresses.

A stop in downtown Prescott is mind-blowing. It looks like you stepped into a western movie set. Go into the one, true, authentic, real "Whiskey Row". and soak in the old west.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA to Sedona

Fuels is cheaper in Az than in Ca so don't fill up in Blythe ot Needles.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA to Sedona

We use I10 to 60 to Wickenburg and then take 74 to I17. We've eaten at the Chinese & the Italian restaurant as well as the diner (slow!) We usually want fast food, and they make good burritos at Filiberto's on the far side of town.

That takes us about 8 hours even though it isn't freeway.It seems like the Old West, but it isn't as scenic as taking the old back road which takes you through Congress and Prescott. It does take about the same time as the freeway though.

When we take the freeway, we stop in Palm Springs, Quartzite (Love's for gas), and Phoenix (far side/Happy Valley/lots of shops and some food

places). That's about every two hours. We get here in 8 hours or less.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA to Sedona

Heck, thanks for posting. I think I learned a few things here...... I usually go to the SF Bay Area. Cheers.