We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona to Grand Canyon

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane WA
Level Contributor
88 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona to Grand Canyon

We were in Sedona 13 yrs ago and did the Jeep tour and some hiking (loved it)!

This time around we have we have

3 days and our 15yr old son. So much to do so little time! Would like to hike a bit but also wondered if we should try to swing the Grand Canyon. Once we get to the South Rim are there trails and things to do? Any suggestions for us?

Edited: 02 April 2012, 08:28
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

Hi

You can make a daytrip to GC from Sedona and back. It's a good 2 hours between Sedona and GC Village via its south entrance. You also can enter GC by its east entrance first and drive between Sedona-Flagstaff and Cameron. Still would recommend to stay one night at the rim and experience sunset and sunrise, highlights in GC but you'll need a reservation for sure www.grandcanyonlodges.com

For things to do at the rim please check www.nps.gov/grca

Tet

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

You should definitely go to the Grand Canyon once you're that close. There are loads of things to do and see. Just the rim drive alone can occupy you all day if you go to the different overlooks, walk around a bit and all. if you decide to take a short distance into the canyon - all the better - there are more trails than you could explore in a week.

A night at the canyon is best since then you can experience the sublime expereince of sunset and sunrise at the canyon.

In-park accommodation would need to be booked ASAP.

For the in-park hotels, visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757.

Failing that you can get lodging right outside the south gate (main entrance to the park) in Tusayan, about ten minutes' drive from the rim. What some people do is reserve a room at one of the Tusayan hotels, but then keep calling Xanterra for cancellations – which happen all the time, but don’t make it back onto the website before they’re snatched up again. That way you might still get ‘inside’ and then just cancel the prior reservation at Tusayan.

Make sure you enter and exit by the two different gates - east and south so you don't need to backtrack.

Between Flagstaff and Cameron (where you get onto 64 to the east gbate of the NP) the scenic loop with sunset Crater / Wupatki is highly recommendable as well.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 12:16
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

If you have not seen the GC before, it will be well worth a day trip up there if you can't get an overnight res. I went on a day trip last week and enjoyed it. It could warm there, or very cold/windy so be prepared for both. You can walk along the rim or take the bus to different points.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

I am headed to Sedona and originally planned to spend 3 nights but added a fourth to give me a day to drive up to the Grand Canyon. I haven't been there for almost 50 years (EEK!) and I decided it would be silly to be so close and not do it. I understand most of the drive is pretty scenic so that shouldn't bother you. From other threads I know there are some short "into the canyon" trails that you would have time for. I'd go for it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

The GCNP is an ideal day trip from Sedona. The downside is that you miss sunset and sunrise. But if you've never seen the Grand Canyon before, then having 4-5 hours there is plenty.

Plan to enter via the east gate and exit the main gate, or vice versa.

6. Re: Sedona to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:15