We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Rock Crossing

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,690 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Red Rock Crossing

Okay, I can't come to Sedona without taking my own version of this iconic photograph but I'm somewhat directionally challenged. I see the Crescent Moon Picnic Area which is accessed from uptown (???? I think) but there appears to be a trail leading towards the crossing from Verde Valley School Road, which is closer to where I'm staying in the Village of Oak Creek. But the trail doesn' t appear to lead directly to the creek and the "view," but joins up with Cathedral Rock trails. Can I just cut from the trail down to the creek? And is the road pretty well graded to get to the trailhead?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Rock Crossing

Cathedral Rock can be seen from many places including Village of Oak Creek where we stayed. but think the classic view is west of Sedona at Red Rock SP. good road getting there. need to hike a little to check the varying views.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 20:41
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Rock Crossing

If you access Red Rock State Park - which is where Crescent Moon Picnic area is - from Verde Valley School Rd, you will have a walk and will need a Red rock Pass. It's graded but don't think it's paved all the way. Maybe it is to the parking area. Then here is a hill to go down and last time we went that way there was also a short fence to go over. In my opinion, it's not the easiest way to get down to the creek level to get the shot you want but it's ok. I have taken my pictures on the other side of the creek from CM Picnic area, including the one that is my avatar.

If you go to the Crescent Moon picnic area.from west Sedona you will be blown away by the views as you go down Red Rock Loop Rd. You pick that up at the Sedona High School. There is a $9 car entry fee. Lots more to do on that side, but you can cross over by using the stepping stones in the creek if the water is low enough.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,797 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Rock Crossing

Better to go to the Cresent Moon SP. Verde Valley School Road can be rough at times, although it does take you all the way to the creek. But you'd have to park back up the road and you'll want to cross the creek anyway.

Franklin Square...
Level Contributor
86 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Rock Crossing

I read from the forum if you ride verde valley school rd to the end there is no fee. Is this correct? I was looking to do this and take balwin trail to the mini slide rock, swimming area for my kids to enjoy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,797 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Rock Crossing

That is correct. The available parking is about a half mile up the road from the creek at the road's end. It is a good access point for the trailheads, but not as good for Oak Creek and the views of Cathedral Rock and Creekside paths. And the road itself can be a problem depending on recent weather. At best, in the dry season, your car will be covered with dust. At worst, after rains, the mud can be prohibitive. The road is always a bumpy washboard.

With kids, I'd advise paying the park fee.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 23:37
6. Re: Red Rock Crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:40