We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Topic
In the heat of summer?

We will be in Sedona July 31st and will be taking the Pink Jeep Tour in the morning. We would like to check out Sedona the rest of the day, but will the heat be too much to hike around this time of year? We are thinking of seeing Bell Rock, Chapel of the Holy Cross, and Red Rock Crossing. Is hiking in the afternoon this time of year miserable with 95 degree weather?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In the heat of summer?

It's great you are doing the jeep tour early and it will give you a good feeling for the rest of the area. The other places you mentioned are not strenuous hikes. Bell Rock will be mostly sunny but I would do some of it maybe early evening. You don't have to go all the way around to get the experience of it.

Chapel of the Holy Cross is a must see. You park and walk up to it - maybe get lucky and get parking spot up close or there is usually a volunteer in a golf cart to take you up.

Red Rock Crossing is the most feasible. Nice mixture of sun and shade and of course right along the water. That is our favorite place to go.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,110 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In the heat of summer?

The hottest time of day will be around 3-5PM. Bell Rock will be in the sun and probably least comfortable at that time. Red Rock Crossing is on the creek and mostly shaded. The other great summer hike on the creek and in the woods is West Fork.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In the heat of summer?

If it is really hot, I would change plans and head to Oak Creek Canyon and hike West Fork or walk through Slide Rock State Park.. Weather in the canyon is usually cooler.

If you think you may do that, take pictures of the red rocks as you enter the Village of Oak Creek and/or in front of Bell Rock and see the Chapel of the Holy Cross on your way into town if possible. Tlaquepaque is usually a nice place to go in the early evening.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In the heat of summer?

We are already planning on Oak Creek Canyon the next day. I've heard West Fork is a nice hike in the summer. My concern is trying to see the red rocks and being in the worst of the summer heat.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,110 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In the heat of summer?

The heat won't be as bad as you might think. The absence of humidity, coupled with higher elevation and mild breezes will make 90s feel like 80 in North Carolina.

You'll want to drink plenty of water because you can quickly dehydrate in this arid climate. And wear a hat because you will learn the real value of shade.

I lived in south FL for 25 years. I'll take 95 in Sedona over 80 in Palm Beach anytime!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In the heat of summer?

Plenty of water is close to a gallon per day. Best to start early and break in mid-afternoon for shopping, etc. Then get back out before sunset. Stay hydrated and enjoy your time in Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In the heat of summer?

The average high is 97 degrees according to Weather Channel.com. The worst part of the heat is when the sun is "high" or closest to the earth, which is between noon and three. Remember that there is no real "shade" on the trails in these temperatures. Years ago I had some regular customers who were Middle Eastern and they had taken treks with a Bedouin guide. The trick they said was to stay relaxed and move slowing as not to "work" the bodies cooling system. It's tempting to want to run away from the sun but a sloth’s pace might be better. It has worked for me for hiking but not biking. It's likely you won't really know what you feel capable of doing in the heat. Good question as it is one that visitors should prepare for.

Red Rock Crossing is a good choice. Bring or buy bug spray for any hikes by the water as the no-see-ems may be zipping around and hungry!

8. Re: In the heat of summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:16