We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

Hello there….

a few ?’s about our Sedona time….Thank you in advance for your help

1.) In early July on Day one we will drive from Phoenix airport area to Sedona.... I am thinking it takes about two hours... is this correct? we can be on the road around 7:30- 8 am...if needed.

What do you suggest we do that first day?--- From about 11 am on? (second day we have the Pink Jeep tour) We like shorter/light hikes and I love to take photos.. & by we, I am speaking of husband, and two teens 13 and 15

2.) second day PJ tour is at 8 am for two hours... then we have the rest of the day. We do need to drive later in the day to GCNP so. rim. Will have dinner reservations planned for El trovar. I do not need reservations for sunset, but hope to be there for it. what time should we aim to leave Sedona to be there in time?? (sunset is around 7:30 ish)

3.) things I would like to see but have no idea if they are on the way to GCNP and or doable with our limited time or not :

Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock, Maybe see sunset our night there at Crescent moon area. any other suggestions would be great. We would love to do that drive in Oak Creek Canyon...

I know our time is short.. but a solid schedule/plan that leaves time for life's unexpected mishaps will help for sure for us to see a few things.

(I did try the search here but didn’t see exactly what I was looking for..)

Thank you so much for your time.

Kindest regards

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

The drive to Sedona from PHX takes just about 2 hours.

As you enter Sedona and Red Rock Country you will be greeted by Bell Rock. Stop at the Courthouse Butte trailhead just after you pass Bell Rock on the right. Next stop should be the Chapel of the Holy Cross, another 3 miles up 179 on the right. You'll be looking at Cathedral Rock this whole time.

Head to West Sedona and down to Cresent Moon SP and Red Rock Crossing for sunset.

You'll love the jeep tour the following day and you'll learn about some of what you saw the day before. You'll depart Sedona for GCNP via Ock Crek Canyon. The drive to the park takes 2 hours without stops. Try to build in some tie for stops though. If you have a couple hours, consider a stop at West Fork for a hike along the creek.

You'll want to arrive at the GCNP well before sunset. The closer you get to that hour, the more the crowds at the gate back up and traffic gets nuts. You have plenty of time to avoid that crunch. Plan accordingly.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

Once again Redrox.. you came to my aide. (with perfect advice)

thank you!

Just what I needed to know.... we will plan to leave early then... to see things and plan for crowds...

kindest regards

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

On your first day as you drive into Sedona, the first place you'll see is the Village. If you feel you need more information, stop at the Forest Service on the right hand side. They can give advice about hiking, etc, but no commercial suggestions. Still it's a nice place to stop and talk with volunteers, look at the souvenirs and take your first picture of the red rocks, Bell Rock.

Then driving on most people want to stop for a picture standing in front of Bell Rock. As you go further on the scenic highway, you will see the Chapel of the Holy Cross on the right. It is a beautiful chapel built into the side of the road. You can capture some beautiful pictures and have a great panoramic view from there.

Going further you as you round the bend you will see Tlaquepaque, a replica of a Mexican Village, on the left. It's a great place to go at dusk.

I would also suggest going to Airport Mesa sometime. It is crowded at sunset, but nonetheless the panoramic view from there is unparalleled.

I know you have the Pink Jeep Tour the next day, and on your way to GCNP you will drive through Oak Creek Canyon. There is a total change in vegetation more like a forest there. There are also Indians selling jewelry at two places on the way.

Two caveats:observe the speed limit throughout AZ and remember to lock your car..

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

Kate

thank you for your help and reply. I cannot wait for our adventure to start!

Viv

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

I second the thanks!!! You folks are so helpful!

6. Re: Sedona help with travel info needed to GCNP so. rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:40