We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerome

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bsain
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Jerome

I just noticed the other post about Jerome. We are planning to go there. Is there one route that is more scenic that the other? We will be driving during the daytime hours.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerome

Where are you coming from? There is one road into Jerome and one road out. There is 89a from Sedona / Cottonwood / Clarkdale and 89a from Prescott.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 23:15
bsain
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerome

We would be coming from Sedona.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerome

From Sedona 89A is really the only option that makes sense.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerome

My husband and I will be visiting Sedona and GC 10/13 to 10/20. We would very much like to visit Jerome, and take the Verde Canyon Railroad tour. The possible days for the train would be Sunday, Monday or Friday. Are the majority of shops and restaurants open all of those days? Is it possible to visit Jerome AND do the train trip on the same day? The train ride is from 1-5 with suggested arrival at noon. That would limit our time in Jerome, especially if shops don't open until late. Would it be better to visit Jerome on a separate day? We plan to drive back to PHoenix on our last day there (friday). DOes it make sense to drive to Jerome from Sedona that last day, visit, and then drive to Phoenix to spend the night at an airport hotel?

THanks for any input.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerome

We have done both in one day, but you won't have much time in Jerome.

You can actually check in with the railroad early to pick up your tickets. You will definitely need advance reservations. Book coach, not first class, because you will spend most of your time on the open-air observation car.

After checking in -- try for 9 AM, head to Jerome. Most shops will open by 10 AM, some earlier. I would do either Monday or Friday. Pack a picnic lunch, because you won't have time for a sit down lunch. You can leave Jerome around noon and make it to the railroad with plenty of time to spare.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerome

Mike:

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I was debating between First class and coach, and will now reserve coach. Didn't seem like the little bit of food they served made the price difference worthwhile. Looks like Monday is it!

Thx

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerome

First class on the train has less people, and more comfortable seating, along with the food. I think it is worth the upgrade.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jerome

It looks like from your other post about Ghost Walks and Tours that you are now thinking about coming to Jerome for an evening ghost event of some sort. I would use that as your "visit Jerome" day, instead of the same day you are doing the Verde Canyon Rail Road. Come in mid-afternoon, all the stores will be open, then have a bite to eat at Quince and go on your ghost tour. Use the morning of your VCRR trip to stop at Tuzigoot National Monument on your way to the station, or do an early morning hike in Sedona first. Like MikePin says, you could do both Jerome & VCRR in one day, but it is going to be crammed and most shops don't open until 10.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jerome

We did first class once, and would definitely not do it again. For that $25 per person, you could have dinner at a nice Sedona restaurant. The seats are really not much more comfortable, and the food is awful, IMHO. Really only a buffet. And, as I said previously, most people (even the ones in first class) spend most of the time on the open air viewing cars.

Absolutely, if you are considering a ghost tour in Jerome, do as GTT suggests.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 01:15
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jerome

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I have to give two days to Jerome/railroad.......

shops, dinner and ghost tour in Jerome

and second day -

Tuzigoot and VCCR

I don't want to make our vacation too hectic.

Thanks again :)