We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona - day trip

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona - day trip

I will be staying in Scottsdale and want to take a day trip to Sedona.

I want to see the Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock and Devil's Bridge but I am not a hiker I just want to take awesome pictures. Is there a scenic route I can drive thru and stop at different spots to take pictures of these??

I really appreciate any ideas!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,859 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona - day trip

You can see Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock as you enter Sedona. You cannot get to Devil's Bridge without a hike. Round trip is a couple miles and not hard, but still a hike.

You'll have no problem taking awesome pictures. Just take your time. Spend a night and you can photograph sunset and sunrise.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona - day trip

There are two or three easy day trips to Sedona and the region that my family has done many times over the last 60 years. On the way up you can stop at Montezuma's Castle and Camp verde for interesting Native American ruins and a look at an authentic US Cavalry fort from the wild west days. Then a stop in the Ghost town of Jerome is in order. From there head on to Sedona where you can easily drive along 89A and 179 to see all the pictures you will want to take. If you have time, head up into Oak Creek Canyon for an even prettier experience. If you are not a hiker, a few hours in Sedona is more than enough to soak it all in.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona - day trip

If you only have a day concentrate on Sedona itself. You can see Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock on the way in, then stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross which is on your right, then at Tlaquepaque on your left. If you are here on a weekday you can have lunch at the Hideaway on your right. Then you can go right on 89A and ride through Oak Creek Canyon. If there's time you could hike on West Fork.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona - day trip

I too agree that concentrate on Sedona. Driving time to and from Scottsdale (depending on the Phoenix traffic) can be 4 hours round trip. There is lots to do and see in Sedona, and many opportunities for photography, even from the road. Allow some time to drive up Oak Creek, with a stop at Dairy Queen to see Native American jewelry for sale in the DQ parking lot.

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona - day trip

Oh my God, I totally forgot about the Chapel of the Holy Cross, and Montezuma's castle.

How am I going to fit everything in???

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona - day trip

Oh, Hideaway is open 7 days. I started to suggest Sedona Memories, but there's limited indoor seating, and that's not too good when it is hot.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona - day trip

You can see Montezuma's Castle on your way up from Scottsdale-it's not far off I-17, the hwy that you will take to Sedona. Just don't dwadle too long as there is going to be lots to see. Montezuma's Well is awsm too, esp if you hike down the back side to where the water lets out into Beaver Creek. But depending on the time of year, it might be too hot to do both.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,535 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona - day trip

I agree about concentrating on Sedona, especially since you're only going as a day trip. What time of year will you be here? If it's not during a potential winter storm, then an idea to maximize your time would be to get up a bit before sunrise and leave Scottsdale as early as possible, and then drive up I-17 to Hwy 89A and enter Sedona from the north, instead of from the South. I know that conventionally, people drive into Sedona on Hwy 179, but I personally love the view of Oak Creek Canyon coming down the hill, especially in the morning hours. This would give you the rest of the day to enjoy Sedona.

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedona - day trip

I am going next week. Is Montezuma Castle before the Chapel of the Holy Cross? I definately want to hike to the devil's bridge too. Do you think I can do it all in one day?? If not I can always do a 1/2 day the following day.

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedona - day trip

By the way, I wanted to thank all you guys for all the suggestions and great ideas.