We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerome for a day

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Jerome for a day

Hi all,

We would like to go down to Jerome tomorrow. What time do the majority of the shops open on Thursday?

Thanks!

Joe

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerome for a day

Everything should be open by around 10-11AM. These are small shops and private entrepreneurs who are pretty much tied to their businesses during shop hours. They will be there if there is business to be done. But no one tells them when they must be open or closed.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerome for a day

Hi Joe...most shops open between 10 and 11am and close between 5 and 6pm. An excellent way to start if you want to arrive earlier is at the Jerome State Historic Park. You can easily get a great overview of the history in an hour or two, and it opens at 8:30am. http://azstateparks.com/Parks/JERO/index.html The park is in the Douglas Mansion, a large adobe building built in 1919 and which has views of Jerome and one of the two mines that made Jerome famous.

Another option is to stop at Tuzigoot National Monument on your way (early is better if you want to walk the short loop around the Native American ruins). http://www.nps.gov/tuzi/index.htm I like Tuzigoot because it ISN'T big and is a great option for people who want to do multiple things in one day.

Let me know if you have other questions about Jerome!

New Hyde Park, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerome for a day

I will be in Sedona in mid-August and was thinking of visiting Jerome for one late afternoon/evening. Good or bad idea?

Not sure what exactly Jerome has to offer, but heard it was a cool place to visit. Am wondering in part if it can be enjoyed during late afternoon/evening hours, or if it's more of a museum/shopping excursion that should be taken in earlier in the day. Any guidance?

Does Jerome have some sort of Haunted Tour? Is this worth doing? I'll be with my three kids (11, 15 and 16) who might enjoy that sort of thing.

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerome for a day

Jerome is an historic mining town, turned ghost town, turned funky arts community. You'll find shops and dining options. Shops will close up by 5-6PM. Restaurants will remain open into the dinner hours. Ghost tours are available at night and become very popular in October.

You can search extensive information in these forums.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerome for a day

Take your cues from GhostTownTraveler. Her family has been there a loooong time and you can take everything she says as gospel. She IS the expert on Jerome. In fact, I find it odd that she has not been designated as such. Maybe it's time?

Edited: 12 July 2012, 23:38
Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerome for a day

In August, it will be less hot in the late afternoon. Most shops will be closing at 5/5:30 but eateries will be open. I bet your kids WOULD enjoy the Haunted Tours tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31253-d2256… I have not been on this tour, but the latest reviews have been good. It does go to many of the places that are reputed to have a ghostly history. I think you need a reservation

There are some funky shops that the teens might be interested in--glitter tattoos, vintage/2nd hand clothing, Maynard Keenan store Puscifer, comic book collectibles--the teen girls that visit us like Raspberry for inexpensive jewelry and Magdalena's Bazaar for a mix of clothes and room decor items.

On Saturday/Sundays starting at 2pm, there is usually live music and although the kids won't be able to go into the venues (read: bars), there is a set of rock steps at the park right in the center of town and people hang out on the steps and listen to the music and people watch.

7. Re: Jerome for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:46