We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January weather

maryland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
January weather

What the weather like in January and will we be able to much sightseeing into the surrounding trails and canyons?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January weather

Last January it was socked in with a blizzard and all the roads were closed. This coming January it could be bright and sunny. Who knows this far out? It is far too early to tell. Check back closer to your trip. You may have to change plans and stick to the warmer lowlands or it could be perfect.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January weather

Yes, Sedona does get snow and unless you are stuck on the highway when it hits, it is just spectacular. Since we only have a few snow days a year, especially in Sedona, our road clearing processes are not as efficient as yours in Maryland, very true. But weather conditions can vary greatly in this state, so it is hard to predict. January is still our winter here, even though we are the desert. Just keep an eye on the forecast while you are here, and don't put yourself in a position to get stuck (i.e. on a highway or hiking a trail) when inclement weather is forecast. I would imagine your "internal radar" for a snowstorm is probably much more attuned than ours here in AZ!

(Do a Google search for snow in Sedona and you will get some awesome photos...)

Edited: 22 July 2012, 18:56
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,829 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January weather

January in Sedona typically means warm sunny days and cold nights with frost or freezing. Snow happens 3-4 times each winter, any time between November and April. It generally isn't cold enough to snow until around sunset and then in the morning, it all melts away. Sedona is a year round golf destination. That should tell you something.

To say that last January was socked in with a blizzard and all the roads were closed, is a completely irresponsible statement. Conditions like that can and do occur but rarely for more than a day or two. Winter storms are fast moving and roads get cleared quickly. Heaviest snowfall is always at higher elevations, often around Flagstaff at 7000 feet or higher. Sedona is 4500 feet.

Sedona's worst snow storm in 2011 was in February.

maryland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: January weather

Thank you for all of your input.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January weather

For anybody else, days usually start off cold and warm up to the 50's, and it's sunny. Some folks hike or play golf almost every day. Nights go downs to the 30's, so bring warm clothes.

I've been here 6 years and I haven't seen a blizzard. We get an occasional snow, but it usually melts pretty fast.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 16:58
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January weather

I am unseure why RR talks about 2011 when I was talking about what happened this last January. We had a huge storm over a great part of the state that went on for 4-5 days. Many of us were reporting on it's progress and passing on reports of road closures sometimes on an hourly basis during this event. I-40, I-17 89A and 179 all closed during this. I would consider this a major storm.

While most of us were reporting what we were seeing outside our windows or in our back yards, RR was passing on second-hand "reports" from his home in Palm Springs.

It is irresponsible to make light of potential weather threats.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January weather

January is cold and wet for Sedona. I am an east coaster who moved here 5 years ago expecting a warm winter. I find January to be my least favorite month but I also have gotten used to the beautiful weather here. Snow here is not a hassle unless you hike. The red rocks are beautiful when snow covered and the roads are clear. I still almost run off the road when I see the snow on the red rocks.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January weather

The Jan. 2011 storm closed roads in Sedona for less than a day, One family that I worked for at the Hilton for were thrilled to see the snow because it extended their vacation by a day.

What part of Sedona were you in Don, when the storm hit? In the canyon?

9. Re: January weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:16