We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

My wife and I (in mid 30s) will be driving from PHX to Grand Canyon in mid september. We are arriving late night at PHX and staying overnight near airport. Starting early morning, we are planning to explore Sedona next day and stay overnight there. We will continue to GCNP next morning and staying there for two nights at Maswick Lodge.

I have rented a Jeep Wrangler 2D 4x4 car from PHX. Question I am puzzled with is, should I take Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour or should I create my own tour by driving my Jeep?

What you folks suggest? I can handle rough driving but I am not ATV person. Also, if we do Pink Jeep tour, can we do anything else to benefit from All Terrain vehicle?

Thanks for your input.

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Silver Spur Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Take the jeep tour. The things you'll see and learn will be far more valuable than the fee alone. The guides are informative and entertaining. You'll learn geography, history, flora and fauna, and tall tales, all while riding to places that would be inaccessible, even in your 4WD rental.

The fact is, you really won't need 4WD at Sedona or the GCNP. At Sedona you could drive Schnebley Hill Road. Driving the fire service roads west of town to ruins sites will be better in the high clearance vehicle, but 4WD is not a must.

Royal Wootton...
Level Contributor
215 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Just returned from 3 week trip to US, including Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour - brilliant experience to get the best of Sedona's beauty. Pink Jeep have much greater access to trails than private tourers, Also, having experienced the PJBAT, I would say you would have to be a very experienced & confident off road driver to be able to access much of the available trails, It would work out cheaper to take the tour, rather than risk expensive recovery / repairs of a private jeep.Take the PJBAT

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Take the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour. You will see more, being able to concentrate on the sights rather than the road, or lack thereof.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
29 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Pink Jeep Broken Arrow is a fun tour. They take you to some beautiful places & have some fun with off road stunts like going down huge inclines. The guides also have lots of information.

However, I personally drove some of the road to Devils Bridge trail. It was just as fun for my family & probably more beautiful.

I would say Pink Jeep should be done once. If money is an object, I would skip it.

Sedona AZ
Level Contributor
75 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Jeep rides are plentiful, there are some you can do on your own though if money is the issue. Too bad you will only be in Sedona for one night this is a three night town at min.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Thanks for input from all of you...

We will be booking broken arrow tour with PJ. Is there a way to get trail map where I can drive on my own? for example Devils Bridge trail.

I didn't realize that Sedona is three night town. What would you suggest to do in more than a day?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

tripadvisor.com/…19490109

Three nights is what we usually say is a minimum for Sedona. Recent trip reports confirm that even a week isnt enough. But give it as much time as you can and judge for yourself.

Since you'll have a 4 WD vehicle you'll be able to explore beyond the paved road limits, although your rental contract will have language that might be prohibitive. Stop at the Ranger Station on 179 as you enter Red Rock Country to get maps and suggestions.

The Devils Arch road is merely a road that gets you to the trailhead. You'll still need to hike to get to the arch.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

Although not necessary, I really do like to have a jeep rental in Sedona. This lets you go to whatever trailhead you want to without worrying about bottoming out the rental car. More careful planning is needed without this. I know on previous vacations, I had a particular trail in mind only to find myself worried about the rental car when driving to the trailhead and ending up doing another hike instead last minute. Also to go places like the Palatki ruins in the Sedona area, I wouldn't even consider it without a high clearance vehicle. And as others have said, Schnebly hill road is kept rough -- a great drive with trailheads too, but only with a high clearance vehicle.

Now the Pink Jeep jeeps are not just jeeps but specially set up jeeps to do some wild off roading. This isn't something you could do in a regular jeep. You get an experienced driver and it's really a lot of fun. In seven trips to Sedona, we just did it once. We will, though, be doing this a second time -- our next trip -- March of next year. I think you can get a good feel for Sedona in three nights / two days. We'll be staying six nights on our upcoming trip and typically do week long stays -- gives opportunities for a few more hikes, day trips to places like Montezuma's castle / Valley Verde Train, time to just relax and enjoy the surroundings -- kids like to use the pool and we like to get a little tennis in too.

9. Re: Take a Jeep tour or drive your own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2013, 10:16