We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

My original plan for next May was to stay in Sedona (BWAR) for 5 nights and then Scottsdale for 7 after visiting the 'parks'. Having seen other accommodation options I see that we can rent a house or condo on a golf course in the Village of Oak Creek for 12 days and use this as a base for looking around the area as well as having 'down time'.

I had thought that the weather might not be so warm in the first part of May in Sedona but looking at the history it seems it is normally in the low to mid 20s so it could be sufficiently nice for our stay.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

May is beautiful in Sedona. Next to October, it's my favorite time of the year. Be advised that private home rentals of less than 30 days are still contrary to city and county ordinances. The issue continues to be debated in courts, but the land lords and tenants are all subject to enforcement and legal issues. Rentals do take place, mostly under the radar. Just know what you're doing.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Thanks RedRox,.I'll find out more about the rental length as I have seen that all the rentals in Sedona itself seem to be one month.

Is The Village of Oak Creek a good place to stay in relation to the City of Sedona.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Yes, the Village of Oak Creek is only 6 miles from the City of Sedona, and in fact it has a Sedona mailing address. Since it is not a city there is no room tax.

Bell Rock is located in "VOC," and you will take the Red Rock Scenic Byway to Sedona. The Village is more residential, but it does have motels and restaurants on Highway 179.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Other than the name, VOC is every bit a part of Sedona, perhaps the prettiest part. In addition, the 6 mile drive between VOC and Uptown includes the Red Rock Scenic Highway on 179, recently designated as one of the top scenic drives in America.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Staying in VOC is the best way to really enjoy Sedona. It may be a 6-8 mile ride from Sedona but as RR put it, it may be the prettyist drive you have ever taken.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 01:01
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

OK, it's 12 nights in VOC in May and forget Scottsdale - you three have convinced me. I think there are enough options for 'days out' to keep us interested as well as relaxing. Thanks for the input.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Book an over night stay at GCNP. Two more good over night excursions would be Page and Monument Valley. They could be linked together. Otherwise Sedona will be an ideal base for your stay with plenty of activity options and day trips.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

Thanks RedRox, I have done that. Got El Tovar and Gouldings (2 nights each). Going to Canyon de Chelly also - can't wait!!!!!!

Edited: 13 October 2012, 19:10
9. Re: Sedona/Scottsdale v Village of Oak Creek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:18