We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

We are thinking about a 8 -9 day trip to northern AZ in mid October of 2012. I love heat and the sun, DH and DD like the sun but not so much the heat. We would fly into Phoenix and probably out of there too. Mainly want to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Wouldn't mind also seeing a few other spots if time like the painted desert if worthwhile that time of year.

Questions - generally what can we expect wether wise in Phoenix, Sedona and GC?

Is there a good chance the mule ride would be a COLD experience? If we did not do a mule ride are there other ways to experience the GC (we're not fit enought to walk in and out though).

We could wait to go another year and go in late May but with only a week-ish we don't want to travel too far so our option from AK are limited. We can always go to Hawaii if the consensus is to wait til a late May trip.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,204 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

Sedona has been awesome this October. Sunshine everyday and temperatures topping out around 80. The GCNP is obviously cooler since it's 2500 feet higher in elevation, but only cold at night.

Experiencing the GCNP does NOT require going below the rim more than a short distance. Mule trips to the bottom are probably already booked solid for next October. It is not an easy trip by any means. Plan to experience the GCNP mostly from the rim, just like 95% of the visitors do. Make it special by spending a night there though in one of the park lodges.

Add a couple of nights in Page to complete the plan. You'll see a wide variety of beautiful northern AZ.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

October is the best time to visit. Spring is generally more windy. I also always recommend Sedona, GC and Page for a great one-week vacation.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

We just got home on Saturday from 6 nights in Sedona. I do believe that it is the very best time to go. You can drive up Oak Creek Canyon just a little way, and the temperature will drop a little. It is just beautiful in Sedona. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
572 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

Consider going to theNorth Rim of the Grand Canyon. There a half day mule ride is offered that goes half way down. It gives you a nice flavor , but you can also get some nice flavor driving the Cape Royal scenic drive and stopping at all the overlooks and eating a picnic there. Keep in kind that the northRim is only open til mid Ocotber. we were just there first week of October. At theGrand Canyon high of 72 with warm sun during the day and nights down to about 50. There is a 200 pound weight limit on the Mules. We were able to book the mules night before, but advance bookings are probably recommended . It was $80 per person. We also spent time inPage where you can tour antelope Canyon, take a boat Ride to Rainbow Bridge , and view the horseshoe Bend, and Glen Canyon Dam. Page was at least 10 degrees warmer than the GrandCanyon. You can see some of our photos on our profile page

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

The fall foliage is spectacular right now. The red trees are near their full color, combined with the yellow/green leaves, makes a picture perfect drive up Oak Creek Canyon.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

Page is great but we have already been to that area a few years back, and if we return we'd probably go during early or late summer because we enjoy Lake Powell and I love the heat. Frankly my biggest concern with an Oct trip is that it will be too cold for my liking. Thanks for the idea for North Rim but we wob't be at GC til the 17th/18th of Oct and that would also be really pushing this whole temperature thing for me. I think some of the fall colors and festivals could be a real treat in Oct and my family likes the idea.

Ontario
Level Contributor
290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

If you are thinking about going at all I would book rooms at the GCNP now. You can always cancel if you change your mind but they book up quickly and it is so worth it to stay right in the park.

8. Re: Looking for feedback on an October 2013 trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:18