We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

Ohio
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

Has anyone been on the Verde Canyon Railroad trip with kids (8 & 10) and if so, did they like it or were they bored? My girls have never been on a train before so they might find that interesting but just wondering how much scenery they can take . I am looking for interesting things to do that will keep their attention. Any other suggestions would also be welcomed!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,161 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

It's a train ride in a very scenic canyon. The downside is that it travels up and back on the same track, so you'll see the same thing twice. In that respect many travelers (adults and children) tend to think that the trip is twice as long as they would want it to be.

The crew will do their best to spot and point out wildlife. You'll stand a good chance of seeing a bald eagle or two. And they have some good quality musical entertainment on board.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

I guess no one with 8 and 10 year olds who have gone have read this yet. If they haven't taken a train ride, it may be a novel activity. For me the disappointment was that there was nothing at the end of the trip. I guess I expected an old fashioned ice cream shop or tourist store! We just got out and waited while they turned the train around. I loved the train depot though.

For other entertainment have you thought about the Pink Jeep tour?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

I've take children ranging from 7-14 yrs old on the train and for the most part, they loved it. A few of them were bored as I would not let them take their IPads and electronic toys with them, and it was all they could think about. With all the technology today, getting out and seeing the pristine Verde River and wilderness area is something a lot of children miss. You can see trees felled by beavers, Bald Eagles and other wildlife.

Take your girls, it is a bit of adventure, especially if they have not been on a train before. I recommend First Class as there are love seats, more room to roam and they have food available that is included with the trip.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 21:05
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

Wife and i took that trip. Very good. We were ok with the "boring" return trip through same area. we took Mt Hood train trip this summer. I love trains

We have 5 grandkids. Two I would have taken, My guess they would have loved it. both sort of curious kids, two I might have dragged, but would have probably been bored. but they like electronic things. other one could be either way,.

If they were our kids we would have taken them. It is a new experience in the out doors and comfortable.

The first class may be worth it. Though we spent most of our time in open car

Edited: 16 December 2012, 22:37
5. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Sedona