We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyon de Chelly or Page

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
canyon de Chelly or Page

I have organised everything for my upcoming trip to Arizona (April/May) covering GCNP, Monument Valley and Sedona but have 2 nights still to do and can't decide between Canyon de Chelly or Page. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Canyon de Chelly is about Navajo history and culture, and your ability to discover and learn about it in the natural environment that includes hundreds of ruins sites in the same place where the tribe continues to live to this day. An inner canyon guided tour will take more than half a day but will leave enough time to self tour either the north or south rim too. I like south to the Spider Rock viewpoint.

Page is a much newer place. The town was created in the mid 20th century around the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam. In the process they created Lake Powell and today bring millions of visitors to explore the lake and many of the other natural geologic wonders nearby.

There is no wrong answer. Whichever you choose, it will need both of those nights.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Tough choice indeed. Page will be more on your way imo. Colorado Riverraft is great www.raftthecanyon.com So are Antelope Canyons.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Seeing as though you've already scheduled time in Monument Valley, which is a Navajo Indian Tribal Park, I would vote for Page and Lake Powell over Canyon de Chelly. Page has lots to see and do, definitely enough for a full 2 day visit. As Tet14 mentioned, the Colorado River Discovery Float Trip is a great activity. Other options worth considering are maybe renting a powerboat for the day and exploring Lake Powell, hiking to the Horseshoe Bend Overlook, Antelope and other Slot Canyons, fixed wing airplane flights, tours of the Glen Canyon Dam, just to name a few.

IMO a visit to Page and Lake Powell, with its focus on water-based activities, will make for a very well-rounded diverse set of experiences on your trip.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
557 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Having seen both, I vote for Page area...especially the Glen Canyon park- service's boat trip to Rainbow Bridge. The drowned canyon is gorgeous and I actually felt my pulse beat faster upon seeing Rainbow Bridge. (More spectacular than any we saw in Arches Nat. Park).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Good info and made me think about what we're trying to achieve on this road trip - Sight seeing (landscape) and culture are the main items.

Sight seeing - GCNP and Monument Valley (we won't do the tour because I understand it's quite rough and my wife has a bad back)

Culture and history - Canyon de Chelly where we can do the tour in a smaller 4wd which I understand will be not rough. Also gives me a circular route (LV to GCNP to MV to Chinle to Sedona) and we can pick up Meteor Crater and Winslow along the way to Sedona.

So if we miss CdC and go to Page we'd miss the culture bit so I guess Cdc has it. It just means we may have to come back again in the future to get to the places we won't have visited - I'd really like to do Antelope but I have to accept we can't do everything.

Does this make sense?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Pretty sure the Rainbow Bridge boat trip that carolph is referring to is the tour conducted by ARAMARK Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas. info ->: http://bit.ly/124Ee0w National Park Service does not take passengers to the bridge, unless one has "connections" ;-)

But it's true, seeing Rainbow Bridge will make your heart skip a beat! I'm not a particularly religious person, but upon seeing Rainbow Bridge, I almost felt the urge to "genuflect." It's awe-inspiring and to use an old cliche, pictures really don't do it justice. Tours to Rainbow Bridge take 5-7 hours by boat (there is no road access) and are certainly a worthwhile activity to consider when visiting Page.

Another way to see Rainbow Bridge if you can't spare that much time is to fly over it. Fixed wing airplane flights are offered from the Page Municipal Airport by Grand Canyon Airlines and Westwind Air service. Flights typically last 30 minutes and are best taken in the morning. Info on GCA's tour ->: http://bit.ly/xeKVcI

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

If you decide to visit CdC don''t miss Hubbell Trading Post near Ganado south of Chinle. Petrified Forest NP also is on your way then.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Don't skip a back country tour at Monument Valley. The road will be no rougher than Canyon de Chelly. Book a tour and ask for a front seat for your wife.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Great - we have all day, so it'll be Chinle to Hubbell Trading Post (3/4hr) to Petrified Forest (1hr) to Winslow (1hr) to Meteor Crater (1/2hr) to Sedona 11/2hrs. 4 3/4 hrs driving time - what amount of time should I allow for sightseeing do you think?

RedRox, thanks for the advice on the MV tour. I wanted to do the back country with a guide as I understand you see things you can't from the paved self drive roads. We're staying at Gouldings so I assume they'll be able to fix that up for us.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
557 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: canyon de Chelly or Page

Thanks K-bot, you ae correct. Additional suggestions: I hope you make reservations to stay at La Posada in Winslow...I had the best soup of my life there at dinner. At Petrified Forest, take the Blue Mesa one-mile loop trail. The woman at the visitor center said it was her favorite and we loved it. Although it has fewer petrified rock specimens, it winds between the amazing blue badlands and only one other couple was on that trail!