We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona trip questions

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Arizona trip questions

Hi,

We are coming to Arizona next week for a family road trip. I would like to get your opinions on my proposed itinerary and I welcome any suggestions. It will be my parents (age 65), my husband, my self and our three kids (10, 7, and 6).

Here is my schedule.:

1. Thursday 2/28 - Arrive in Phoenix

2. We stay in Tempe at Comfort Suites Airport for 2 nights because my husband is graduating on Saturday at the Gammage Auditorium.

3. Saturday 3/2 - Drive to Tucson to stay with family for 4 nights.

4. Wednesday (3/6) drive to Sedona. We have reservations at The View for 3 nights. Maybe do some hiking that day...Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock.

5. Thursday 3/7 - Take Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour in am and explore Sedona in pm

6. Friday 3/8 - thinking of going to Out of Africa, Sunset crater, and/or Jerome

7. Saturday 3/9 - Head to GCNP to stay over night at Kachina Lodge

8. Sunday 3/10 - Drive to Page to stay at Days Inn

9. Monday 3/11 - Take 1/2 day raft tour from Colorada River Discovery

10. Tuesday 3/12 - Maybe do slot canyon tour in am and then head to Zion National Park (have reservations at the park lodge)

11. Wednesday 3/13 - Explore Zion

12. Thursday 3/14 - Head to Las Vegas to stay with family

13. Saturday 3/16 - Fly home

My questions are: is this too much or do I give each place enough time? Any comments on the hotels I have selected? Will we be limited by weather? Should I consider doing more winter type activities, like tubing or snow mobile? Any good recommendations for a horse riding tour? Do you think the activities I mentioned in our trip will be good for my aged kids? Anything I have over looked and don't need to miss??

Thank you for your help in planning our trip!

Vicki

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,263 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona trip questions

On Fri 3/8 you are contemplating leaving Sedona. I wouldn't do that. I doubt that you will have seen enough of it in the prior day and a half. There's still plenty to see and do without leaving Red Rock Country. Go to Red Rock Crossing. Climb Doe Mtn. Explore Oak Creek Canyon.

At Page, have a plan B for the raft trip. It could be cold and uncomfortable. Also be aware of the recent road rupture on 89. You'll need to detour to Page via Tuba City up to 98. The detour is about 45 miles and will add another hour to the drive that day.

Your hotel choices are great. It's a lot to see and do in one trip but you've got enough time to do it. I wouldn't be concerned about snow unless the forecasts call for it in the days just before your travel dates. You'll most likely encounter it on the ground at the GCNP. Storms, if they happen, will be in the Flagstaff and GCNP vicinity.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona trip questions

Yes, contact Colorado River raft with the roadclosure on us89. From Lees Ferry where the raft ends back to Page is 50 miles, app a one hours drive but now the drive back is via Tuba City and from Lees Ferry to Tuba City, us160 and az98 back to Page is more than 180 miles.....app same distance if they head back via Kanab to Page.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 11:30
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona trip questions

Wow. Thank you both for the information. I had not heard about the road rupture. Thanks for the heads up. Would you still go to Page if we are not able to do the raft trip, or would you skip Page and perhaps add something else, like Bryce Canyon?

What about horseback riding? I have been looking at M Diamond Ranch. Is there any place you would recommend?

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,263 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona trip questions

The raft trip is still a great day. It's just that now it will be much longer. Bryce is a good alternative if you decide to skip Page. Expect colder weather up there though.

M Diamond is good for horseback riding. The downside IMO is that it's a simple nose to tail ride and it takes place away from the red rocks of Sedona.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona trip questions

I definitely see your point about the horses. My daughter is an experienced rider, so it may not be the right ride for us.

After looking at the information about the road rupture, it looks like we will have to detour whether we go to Page or Bryce since we would have to go the same way.

Is there anything in any of the areas that I mentioned that you can recommend that would be a "not to miss" place or activity for my kids (10, 7, 6). I know they will enjoy hiking and the pink jeep tour, but I was wondering if there is anything that I did not mention that would be really entertaining for them.

Also, a while back I read about some hike (I believe it was in Sedona) that lead to a cave. The people hiked to get to the cave, then hiked through the cave, and even gave recommendations on what directions to take in the cave. But I did not write it down and I can't find it. Are you aware of anything like this and if so, is it worth doing?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,263 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona trip questions

In Sedona, go to Red Rock Crossing for sure.

Regarding Bryce as a trade off for Page, you wouldn't have to do the detour. You could take 89 north from Cameron to Alt89 at Bitter Springs. Follow Alt 89 to Navajo Bridge, Marble Canyon and then on up to Jacob Lake and north to Kanab from there. At Kanab you will resum the route that you would have taken from Page, joining 89 again and following it north to UT12 and then east to Bryce.

To be honest, I think you might enjoy Bryce even more. The raft trip at Page can be really cold in early March.

There are tons of caves around Sedona, but most are up high and the climbs to reach them can be tough and treacherous. You might be thinking of Lava Cave outside of Flagstaff, but again, at this time of year, it's pretty much inaccessible. Even if you could get there it would be most uncomfortable.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona trip questions

We certainly will plan to go to Red Rock Crossing. It all looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see it.

Thanks for the driving directions. Now we just have to decide which one we want to do.

As far as hotels go, do you think The Views Inn in Sedona is a good choice, or do you have other suggestions? It seems to get good reviews, but I'm afraid it looks old. We would like the hotel to have a breakfast and price range around $100- 125 or so. Do you like to stay in Sedona or VOC? Suggestions?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizona trip questions

If you decide to go to Bryce, kids and you will like a visit to Best Friends Animal Society.

http://www.bestfriends.org/

Not a rider myself but I've heard horsebackriding is good at Red Canyon Ut.

PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arizona trip questions

Any info on how long 89 will be closed for repairs. We will be coming thru that area on March 16.

Good suggestion to take 89A, though. Maybe we'll try that.

PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arizona trip questions

Oh, I found the other thread with the Page alert and the link to the pictures. I will have to decide which alternate route is best for us. I'm sure it will not be fixed by the time we get there.

Thanks for posting this alert.