We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

Hello. We are heading to Sedona next week to celebrate our anniversary. We will be there for 3 nights. We could really use some help with our itinerary.

We are flying into Phoenix Friday 5/26 and should be in Sedona in time for the sunset. From reading posts on here, it seems Airport Mesa is a good place to watch the sunset. Can anyone recommend a casual restaurant on or around Airport road for dinner Friday?

Also, we have reservations for a Pink Jeep tour at 4p.m. on Saturday. We would like to visit Slide Rock State Park and Red Rock Crossing while we are in Sedona. Does one of those places take longer to see than the other? Is one better for sunset pics? We thought we would go to one Saturday before our Pink Jeep tour and then do the other on Sunday when we have more time.

Any other suggestions for "must do's" or great photography spots?

Thank you!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

We got some great sunset pics at Red Rock Crossing. The way the light reflects on the rocks was great. Slide Rock State Park only took us a few minutes to visit, but maybe there is more to it then what we saw. We didn't actually get in the water and splash around as there were way too many kids doing that, some were being quite foolish and doing dangerous stunts on bikes so we didn't want to hang around and see one break their neck. Make sure to check out the church that is built on the side of one of the red rock cliffs I forget the name of it right now. It is a bit SE of Sedona I think you drive right near it when coming from the Interstate into Sedona if coming from Phoenix. The whole drive from Sedona up along Oak Creek all the way to Flaggstaff was amazing. The way the highway turns and twists its way from the creek level to the top is quite interesting. From Slide Rock State park keep heading north a couple more miles to climb up out of the canyon and then stop and check out the canyon from the top. I was very impressed by this, of course then I went to the Grand Canyon which made that look like a small hole in the ground. I hope you have already been to the Grand Canyon because it would be a shame to be that close and not see it. Also maybe consider a hot air balloon ride over Sedona, it is unbelievable but rather expensive. Have fun, Sedona is a beautiful place.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

There is a restaurant at the Airport which is casual. They have an outdoor deck so you can watch the sunset from your table. It's warm now so it should be quite pleasent.

You won't see much of a sunset from Slide Rock, it's more of a water park in that it's main feature is the natural water slide carved in the red rock. Unless you want to swim I don't recommend paying the $8+ to get in there.

Red Rock Crossing is fabulous at sunset and any time. There are two ways to get to Red Rock Crossing 1) Crescent Moon Picnic Area or drive down a dirt road, Verde Valley School, and park at the second parking lot on the left. Then walk down the dirt road. It's worth going to Crescent Moon as there is more to see there.

If you like gentle and scenic walking trails I highly recommend Red Rock State Park, not far from Crescent Moon. They have scheduled nature walks and a visitor center. No bikes are allowed on the trails so it is very peacful for bird watching and walking. I think it's $6 per car. This is by far the best park in Sedona!!!!

pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/redrock.html

To get more information stop by the Chamber of Commerce Visitors Center and pick up a free copy of Recreation Guide which has articles, phone numbers, and websites for local attractions.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

Thank you for the information. Now I'm thinking we won't even bother with Slide Rock Park.

CountyMounty - we haven't been to the Grand Canyon and have been debating back and forth about doing a day trip but we only have 2 full days and I really think we'd just be pushing it too much. We did a long weekend in Europe a few years ago and ran around like crazy tyring to see and do everything and we both just ended up tired and cranky! I think we'll save the Grand Canyon for a separate trip where we can spend more than a few hours there.

Thanks again for your input! :)

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

You MUST drive up to the canyon if you are that close. Even if you just get to see it and have to leave. It is such an awesome site for those who have never seen it before. Don't pass it up. It's amazing!

5. Re: Itinerary help needed for Memorial Day weekend :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 09:20