We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona for a weekend

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona for a weekend

Gidday. I'm arriving in Sedona on a Friday evening in mid April and then traveling on to Flagstaff in the afternoon on the Sunday. I am hoping to do some easy / moderate hikes of a few hours duration on both Saturday and Sunday (early in the morning), however, I won't have a car. Is it easy enough to use public transport or walk to trail heads from Kings Ransom Hotel, or will I need to book a tour? Alternatively, are there secure places to lock up hired bicycles at trail heads (when I'm hiking)? And advice on transportation to trail heads, bike hire, hiking tours and the best trails to tackle during my short visit would be much appreciated. Thanks!

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,779 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona for a weekend

How are you getting to Sedona? Being there without a car will severely limit your options. There is a trail behind KR that takes you up to Snoopy and Munds Rocks.

Public transportation in Sedona is virtually non existent. It will be easier and more time and cost effective to rent a car in Sedona instead of a bicycle.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona for a weekend

Hi Red Rox. I'm arriving by shuttle bus from Phoenix. Given that I'm from Australia and will be traveling alone, I am a bit worried about driving on the other side of the road with no one to remind me that I've just driven into oncoming traffic (although I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to realise, especially on a busy weekend in Sedona!). Hence that's one of the reasons why I thought I might do a tour, if one exists, or hire a bike. I have had a quote from a private tour shuttle bus that travels between Sedona and Flagstaff - essentially providing a drop off / pick up service at Cathedral and Bell for 1 1/2 - 2 hours each. This might work out, or it might not be long enough at each location. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona for a weekend

And where are you going from Flagstaff? Are you departing Phx again?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona for a weekend

Hi Tet14. After spending two nights in Flagstaff I am going to the Grand Canyon (already have a shuttle bus and accommodation booked) and will spend a day on the south rim before returning to Flagstaff (via shuttle bus). From there I will fly home via Phoenix and LA, so I won't be going to Phoenix again by road.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona for a weekend

You might use a bike to supplement your hiking, but I wouldn't use it as an alternate for a car in Sedona. While you will be able to reach some trails by bike, you will miss out on many areas without a car. The roads around Sedona are not extremely crowded or fast moving. I'm not sure you'll be happy with the cost of taxi service as an alternative.

6. Re: Sedona for a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:16