We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help for our May trip

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help for our May trip

I would appreciate a critique of my proposed plan for our trip to Sedona the first part of May.

Background: My husband and I will be driving from Texas and camping at Pine Flats. We will have our trail crazy but, senior dog with us. Our prime objective is to hike and take in the sites. We typically go on a big trip to Colorado each year but, this year my husband has to take more vacation so, I added a trip to Arizona (thank you Uncle Lee for gifting me with a subscription to AZ Highways). We are experienced hikers in our late 40’s but, we live at sea level and our dog is getting on in years. In the past I would have picked trails based on their scenic potential only but, now I’m trying to find something that we (and the dog) can enjoy and is also scenic. I don’t want any trails that may require bouldering or such. While we are both fit, our dog (55 lbs) just can’t do that anymore, even if he thinks he can. I’ve already told my husband that our dog will have to stay on the leash (neither of them is going to be happy). We (and by that I mean my husband) always carry water, a collapsible bowl and treats for the dog.

Sunday: Arrive in Oak Creek Canyon stopping at Oak Creek Vista to buy a Red Rocks Pass

Monday: Hike the West Fork trail in the morning, lunch back at the campground, if it’s not too hot and we feel we have the energy, hike the Cookstove trail from the campground

Tuesday: Hike the Boyton Canyon trail and then Doe Mtn trail, return to Hwy 89 via FR 525. We will probably just eat GORP for lunch. I noticed that there are a couple of wineries in Cornville on Page Springs Road. Would these be places we could go in hiking gear? We’d leave the dog in the car and only stop if it wasn’t too hot to leave him there.

Wednesday: In the morning, hike the Courthouse Butte loop. I was thinking in the afternoon we’d head up Schnebly Hill Road (we have a 4x4 Xterra and DH is an experienced off road driver). Is there someplace on the way or reasonably close that we could pick up some sandwiches (vegetarian friendly a plus) for lunch? Alternately, would it be safe to leave a small cooler in the car? I noticed that the Forest Service website mentions not to leave anything of value in your vehicle at the trail head. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this warning before (we camp in the NFS a lot). I don’t want to have to drive all the way pack to the CG.

Thursday: Hike the Airport/Tabletop loop. Pick-up something for lunch. I’m looking for suggestions again. Go to the Crescent Moon picnic area to eat and check-out Red Rock crossing. Possibly do laundry later in the day at the Laundry Basket.

Friday: Drive the Desert Canyon loop stopping at Wet Beaver Creek to hike on the Bell Trail.

Saturday: Pack-up and hit the road.

Where are some good places to watch the sunset? I like photography and will bring my tripod. I would prefer someplace we can drive too or maybe a short walk. We have headlamps but, I don’t want to be coming down a long, steep trail in the dark.

Is there anything else that’s considered a must do? I feel like I do have some room to add something else. I was thinking about Jerome but, maybe I’ll leave that for next time. I’d like to visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross, though I’m hesitant to do so in shorts. Maybe, I just won’t tell my mom about that. Are there any places that we could stop for a beer in the afternoon that are dog friendly with an outside patio or such?

Thanks in advance for your help. Kelly

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

You can go anywhere in hiking clothes, even to the Chapel of the Holy Cross and wineries too. However, it is against the law to leave your dog in the car, anywhere, at any time. If you love him so much that you are traveling with him, you'll abide by this statute. Car interior temperatures in Arizona will quickly become intolerable. And there will enough animal lovers around that if someone spots your pooch inside an empty car, you can expect police presence and a hefty fine if not an arrest. That's the end of my lecture.

You'll find plenty of dog friendly places to eat and relax. One of my favorites is the Indian Garden Cafe in Oak Creek Canyon, not far from Pine Flats. Great take out sandwiches and deli fare.

Best place to pick up sandwiches for a picnic from in town is Sedona Memories, weekdays only, 11-2. No problems raving a cooler in the car. Warnings refer more to leaving valuables like purse and cameras or computers in plain sight. There have been brief periods of vehicle break ins, so the warnings are posted.

You won't see much of sunset or sunrise from your campground in the shade of the canyon, but you can stop anywhere else around Sedona to enjoy those moments. Many trailheads are good spots, and of course Red Rock Crossing is classic for sunset.

Be patient with your commutes from the canyon campground. Getting to Sedona could take 10 minutes, or as much as 30 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

"However, it is against the law to leave your dog in the car, anywhere, at any time."

Is this really true? We live south of Houston. I'm well aware that the interior of a vehicle can lethally hot but, I don't see anywhere that says the above is true. What I could find was this:

§ 13-2910. Cruelty to animals; interference with working or service animal; classification; definitions

A. A person commits cruelty to animals if the person does any of the following:

7. Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly leaves an animal unattended and confined in a motor vehicle and physical injury to or death of the animal is likely to result.

This does not sound like an all out ban to me. I guess I was under the impression that it was going to be in the low 80's with minimal humidity at the beginning of May. Where we live in August the low temp will be 78 to 80 with over 90% RH and Titus will go on 70 minute walks. I'm aware of what conditions he can tolerate.

I'd appreciate factual information.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Im not a lawyer, but I seem to see news stories about incidents often. Please don't leave your dog in the car.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Does anyone else have any information that might be helpful to me?

CT
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

I love Doe Mountain but your dog won't be able to do that hike if he is a senior dog. He would love Deadman's Pass at Boynton Canyon. Courthouse Butte is a good choice for you all and Bell Rock Pathway. Enjoy. I love dogs although could never bring my sweet black mini schnauzer out from the East Coast although I'm sure he'd love to be with me.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Someone started a website for dog lovers like you (and us). You can find dog friendly places to eat and more. Here is a link: www.sedonadogfriendly.com/chow-down.html

Sorry to say the Laundry Basket is closed. There is a Maytag laundry on the left on 89A in Cottonwood though, and I believe there is also a laundromat/fluff and fold in the Safeway Shopping Center which is on the right hand side..

Sedona Memories has very nice sandwiches. You will also find a takeout counter at New Frontiers Market with many interesting options.

If you like photography there are some wonderful panoramic views from the Chapel of the Holy Cross and from Jerome. (You can see all the way to Twin Peaks in Flagstaff.)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Factual information per statute 13-2910:

"A peace officer, animal control enforcement agent or animal control enforcement deputy may use reasonable force to open a vehicle to rescue an animal."

If your dog is in the car and it is sunny and warm outside, someone seeing the dog will call the police. The temperature does not even have to be 80 outside to pose a real threat to an animal inside a vehicle. So a cop witnessing something like that would definitely err on the side of caution in protecting the animal.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Thanks for the great info. The website is big help.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

We would never leave our dog in a locked car with the windows up! Even if it wasn't against the law. I didn't ask for dog care guidelines. Our dog is twelve years old and we have traveled with him extensively. What I asked for was help help with my itinerary. Gheez.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help for our May trip

Your OP stated that you would leave the dog in the car. That's a red flag. No intent to offend.

Have a good trip.