We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Hereford
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Hi All

I'm planning a road trip around the SW USA next year and want to take in a couple of days in Sedona as part of the trip. We are currently debating between an RV trip and hotel based trip. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 14 and are very much the outdoor types.

I'd appreciate any recommendations of activities or places to visit to make the best of the area. Highlights for us would be any adventure activities or particularly and great spots for river swimming or short walks for a picnic (appreciating it's pretty hot in Arizona at that time of year)

Also any recommendations for either RV suitable campgrounds or family friendly hotels in the area

Appreciate any help or advice

Cheers

Andy

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Andy, Feel free to read my posting and reviews. Sedona is a great family destination, you will have a great time. As for family friendly hotels the Best Western Arroya Roble and Sky Ranch are good ones. Let me know if you have questions.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,336 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

There are several very popular swimming holes in Oak Creek around Sedona. Red Rock Crossing and Slide Rock are among them. The area is combed with walking and hiking paths for all skill levels and views are everywhere.

You will probably find that RV travel is slower and more costly than using traditional hotels.

Hereford
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Thanks SilverStarfish and RedRox for the tips and hotel recommendations. Sedona looks fantastic. Still not sure between the hotel or RV based travel. I think the kids would love the outdoor experience of the RV but the hotel is alot more convenient. Problem (a nice one!) is trying to work out the best compromise between great places to visit and to much driving

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,336 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Less is more. What I mean is that you'll have a better vacation by choosing fewer destinations and spending more quality time at each. It means prioritizing, and it means you'll have to miss some places that you think you'd like to see. But in the long run, if you do it right, you'll all be inspired to return and seek out other parks, destinations and adventures.

Hereford
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

I think you may be right. I'm researching all the possible places we could visit and things we can do and then present that to the family and let them choose the best route. 3 weeks just around Arizona and Utah with all the adventures that has to offer would be grand

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,046 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

W have been staying in Sedona Real lately and find it very family friendly. They have traditional rooms and suites and a great breakfast. They have their own family park that has grills so you could do your own cookout if you like. It's also close to Red Rock Rock Crossing.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Check out Red Agave-they have 1/2 bedrooms. full kitchen, firepit, BBQ's and hiking from their property. Very family friendly.

Hereford
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

Thanks for those hotel recommendations, really appreciate the in depth knowledge :)

9. Re: Visit to Sedona in August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:19