We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to ELOPE!

Gilbert, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Best location to ELOPE!

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I are going up to Sedona this weekend (Friday) to Elope! Well, our parents will be there but that's it. Anyway, I wanted to get some recommendations on a place to actually get married. My father, who is ordained, will be performing the ceremony. There will be 6 of us total. I want the stunning red rocks in the background, but somewhere that I can get to easily wearing a wedding dress (no hiking). We want to get married at 6pm (due to travel time, etc...), so Red Rock Crossing is out because they close at 5pm. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

Congratulations! The wedding dress +no red rock dust on your dress is a wee bit of a challenge. So far I have come up with the parking lot in front of Bell Rock or heading out Verde Valley School Road from Hwy. 179 in the Village of Oak Creek. I think you could get dropped off by the creek (sort of a cul de sac) and have your pictures taken with Cathedral Rock in the background at sunset. It is a dirt road, but my husband has seen other weddings there. I don't know if you need a permit, but you can check with the USFS Visitor Information desk at (928) 204-2900.

Will you have a chance to check it out before you change? If not let me know and I will check both locations...unless someone has another idea.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

I would also suggest accessing Red Rock Crossing from Verde Valley School Road. That's the classic spot. You'll need to scramble just a bit, but that's what Sedona is all about.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

Also, keep in mind that this is Memorial Day weekend, and traffic going up north will be extremely heavy, especially if you're coming from Gilbert/the East Valley. I recommend leaving very early, if at all possible. Lots of people will take half days on Friday, leave work early, and start heading north, so the normal rush hour times don't apply.

Congratulations, and have a great time!

Edited: 20 May 2013, 17:48
Gilbert, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

You guys are awesome - thank you! We plan on leaving around 10am, so we hope to miss most of the traffic. I don't mind getting my dress a little dirty - I won't be wearing it again so no biggie. I'm more concerned about getting a great backdrop :)

I doubt I'll be able to check out any locations before I change. depending on when we get there, I'll probably have to start right into getting ready and then I want to leave the hotel no later than 5:00 so we can make sure and get to a location without being rushed. I was just going to have them drive around until we find somewhere that screams our name... but I wanted some suggestions if at all possible. You guys have been a great help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

Let them drop you at the end of Verde Valley School Rd and then they can park the car about 1/4 mile back up the road and walk back down to you. Walk down to the creek and start walking upstream on the red slick rock. You'll quickly come upon spots like this.

…googleusercontent.com/-w-LXhk8hLMQ/SzV97fHY…

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

Also to protect your dress you could use a tarp. Maybe you can find one in off white!

Let us know if you need more help.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

I am no destination expert and have only been to Sedona just recently, but we found Crescent Moon Ranch to be spectacular in scenery and a very, very easy walk/hike that you could do in a dress. We also have wonderful photos with Bell Rock in the background (another VERY easy walk) - although there seemed to be very little shade or wind protection when we were there so if it is hot you may have some issues in the late afternoon. Congratulations and best wishes on your marriage.

8. Re: Best location to ELOPE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:18