We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-day First Visit to Sedona

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
One-day First Visit to Sedona

We are planning to visit GCNP in two weeks - 4 nights in mid-June. We are considering reducing that to 3 nights and spending the 4th (or 1st) night in Sedona. Never been to any of these places. Is overnight visit to Sedona adequate to get a glimpse so we can decide if we need to come back and spend a week there in future? We are a family of 4 with two teenage daughters. What can we don from noon to noon - 24 hours? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

VC

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

I'd reduce GCNP to 2 nights unless you have aggressive hiking plans. Most people can self tour the highlights of the park in less than 48 hours. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve more time, but for most visitors, the second trip is when they plan more time for more in depth exploration.

And conversely, Sedona needs even more time than you have. Those who visit for less than 3 days wish that they had planned to stay longer and set about making plans to return ASAP.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Yes, my pick also would be 2 nights GC and 2 nights Sedona. Between GC and Sedona maybe take its east entrance to Sedona and visit Cameron Trading Post on your way plus the scenic loop via Wupatki and Sunset Crater NMs. East of Flagstaff you'll find Walnut Canyon NM. The drive between Flagstaff and Sedona is very scenic via az89A

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Agree with 2 nights and I'm betting your girls will find Sedona very much to their liking. Do the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour.

4. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 11:36
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Sacred Earth tours is one of several in Sedona who operate without proper permitting. Please choose a tour company that complies with regulations. The environment is Sedona's biggest asset and it needs to be protected.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will work on revising my plans. But the challenge would be to find a suitable place to stay in Sedona at such a short notice (I have 4 days reservation at Yavapai Lodge in GCNP). Since there are five of us (I am taking my mom who has not been to GCNP), I am having difficulty in finding a place to stay without breaking a bank - we are on a tight budget and Sedona seems to be a place for people to splurge - the accommodations seem to be quite pricey, especially those highly recommended on TA. Any suggestions for moderate priced accommodation and food would be greatly appreciated. Have already researched TA for hotels, restaurants, things to do, etc.

Also, besides Pink Jeep Tour, what else could we do in Sedona? Is this a good season for hot air baloon ride? Hiking is out of the question for most of our group. We like nature, history & culture.

Once again, thanks everyone for enthusiastic and quick responses.

VC

Edited: 28 May 2013, 17:51
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Sedona has tons of hotels in all price ranges. Try Days Inn or Kings Ransom or Wildflower or Desert Quail just for starters.

Same with food. Lots of places to eat cheap. A sandwich at Sedona Memories for $6 will feed 2-3 people. Try the delis at the grocery stores.

Staying in Sedona will be less costly than GCNP.

You don't need to hike to enjoy the beauty of Sedona. But you do need to give it time. You can get to more places in your car than you can imagine in just two days. You'll wish you had more time

Edited: 28 May 2013, 19:26
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

With five people in your group you might look up the timeshares and vacation rentals (VRBO). That would give you more space together. Splurge on the Pink Jeep tour and save the hot air balloon ride if you are trying to stay within a budget. There's plenty to do just enjoying the red rock views.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Thanks RR for your suggestions. I have looked at the hotel options you have suggested. They would fit our needs. I also found more options in Sedona - Sedona Real Inn and Best Western Inn of Sedona. Hopefully one of these options should work out.

I do have a question: If we have a choice (i.e., if within our budget), is it better to stay in Sedona or in Oak Creek Village?

Kate410: I looked at the Vacation Rental options, but they are not working out - either price wise or amenities/service wise. Any specific ones that you recommend (reasonable priced)?

VC

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,233 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One-day First Visit to Sedona

Village of Oakcreek and Sedona are contiguous. Regardless of where you stay you'll use your car each day to get to the places you want to visit around Sedona. Neither place is better. Choose the lodging that suits your budget and sleeps your party. You won't be spending much time in your room/lodge anyway.