We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

We are unexpectedly heading to Salt Lake City in mid-September. Because I have never been to the Grand Canyon, my husband and I (early 60s) have decided to try to take a few days to see some sights before heading to SLC. It looks like flying into Phoenix is our best bet, so we plan to spend one night there and then rent a car to drive through Sedona on our way to the Grand Canyon. We know we don't have much time but would like to spend two nights (Sat/Sun) in Sedona. What are top suggestions for "must do/see?"

I am also looking into accommodations and it seems like that is a busy time and we may not be able to get park hotel rooms for our 2 nights at the Grand Canyon. We wouldn't want to make Sedona our home base for seeing the GC because we need to continue north to SLC. Any suggestions for alternatives would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Read the Sedona Trip Ideas on the right side of this page for must dos.

Call Xanterra every day to keep trying for GCNP rooms. As a back up, book a room in Tusayan, just outside the park.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Thank you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,545 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

I will suggest looking into Flying into and renting off airport in Las Vegas... A one way rental from Phoenix may add expense... Perhaps less so, from LV ... carracar

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Do look into those rental car drop off fees before committing to your plans. They're typically pretty hefty for picking up a car at Point A then dropping it off at Point B. There may be significant price differences between Phoenix and Las Vegas so do check out both options.

Hope you realize too how long a haul it is from GC South Rim to Salt Lake: ~ 8 hours if you get onto I-15 as soon as possible. Or if you want to take it at a more leisurely low-pressure pace (and enjoy a pretty drive), stay on Highway 89 all the way to Spanish Fork. Maybe stop at the Big Rock Candy Mountain Cafe in Marysvale for lunch, or overnight there to break up the drive. Map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/CiTrZ

Have fun!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Chances are very good for mid-September to find rooms at GCNP. Keep checking the website and call as well. I have always been able to get rooms even at late dates.

Old Bridge, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

Dear RedRox,

I've read all great advices you wrote for different people and I am very impressed with your knowledge.

I wonder if you can help us. We are going to Salt Lake City at the end of February (family gathering), and would like to take a car and drive to Phoenix after. We want to see Zion, Monument Valley, Sedona, Lake Powell, GCNP and other great sites. Could you please help with the itinerary since we honestly have no clue whatsoever where to start. We don't even know which better way to go SLC to Phoenix, or arrive a week earlier and travel from Phoenix to SLC. We would really appreciate your help. Is end of February a good time to take a road trip like this?

Thank you.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

February is winter of course. This could be an issue for driving conditions in higher elevations, especially around the GCNP. No way to predict it though so the best thing to do is make your plans and know that in the event of a snow storm you might be delayed by a day or so.

Given you list of desired stops, a week might not be enough time. Use these general times and then prioritize. Zion needs 2 nights minimum, Page/Lake Powell, 1 night in the winter, Monument valley 1 night, GCNP 1 night and Sedona 2-3 nights.

The timing and direction of your route won't matter except as it relates to your own travel dates. Book lodging at GCNP and Monument Valley first, as those tend to book fully at all times of the year. Realize that there will be about a 2-4 hour drive each day between destinations. That doesn't leave very much time at the places you want to see unless you have multiple nights. Days are short in Feb.

8. Re: Phoenix - SEDONA - Grand Canyon - Salt Lake City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:18