We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
91 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

I have an America the Beautiful Interagency Pass that I was hoping to use in the Sedona Area - is it accepted at many places? I am confused by the pass program. It seems like a lot of federal sites are actually privatized and don't accept passes? is that true?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

Stop by the Red Rock Ranger Station on 179 and show your pass. They will give you a sleeve to use at places that require a Red Rock Pass. These are typically trail heads and access points for Federally owned land. You will have to pay separate fees for state parks like Slide Rock, Crescent Moon etc. You will also pay at Navajo and other Indian Reservation Tribal Parks.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

Also, V Bar V the petroglyphs site and Montezumas Castle are covered under the America the Beautiful pas

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

Crescent Moon is the "official" name for Red Rock Crossing right? It looks like it is part of Coconino National Forest, and if so, it should be covered with an America the Beautiful Pass...

…usda.gov/recarea/…

Or is there a State Park also with the name Crescent Moon?

Edited: 12 June 2013, 00:37
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

It is not covered with the pass. The park, parking area, rest room facilities and picnic grounds are maintained apart from any federal agency. Argue your case at the gate, but you'll still be required to pay the $9 per car fee. The other option is to drive out on Verde Valley School Road. There is a parking lot about a 1/4 mile from where the road ends at Oak Creek. From there you can walk down to the creek and swim and sunbathe and hike, but technically, if you cross the creek and enter the park area or use the park facilities, you will be trespassing. Get caught doing so and you will be subject to the $9 fee.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

I hold an NPS Access pass, and thought it would be good for Crescent because it is part of Coconino National Forest, and typically, National Forest sites are part of the "Access access." But for a measly nine bucks its not worth trying to make a case! :-)

Also, seems like its probably worth getting a Big Three weekly pass if we plan to go there more than one day,or to the other two locales that are part of that, no?

Can one get that Big Three pass right at RR Crossing/Crescent Moon, or do you have to get it elsewhere?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

Brooklyn, on the very web page you cited, it says: "The Crescent Moon (Red Rock Crossing) Picnic Area is operated by a concessionaire. Only the Grand Annual Red Rock Pass and the 'Big Three' annual pass, (each $40.00) are accepted here, or you may pay the daily rate at the gate."

This is also noted, in a more general way, on the web site where you can buy an NPS pass - http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html : "Some facilities and activities on Federal recreation lands are managed by private concessionaires. The concessionaires charge for their services as any private company does."

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

The big 3 pass is a good investment if you plan to visit all three sites or return to RRC as you say. Yes, you can get it at the gate as you enter Crescent Moon Park.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

@ Excess - I cited that to clarify that we were talking about the same locale. And clicking the "Passes and Permits" link on the left, the succeeding pages read like the Access can be used as if it is a Red Rock. :

"A Red Rock Pass (or America The Beautiful Interagency Pass, Golden Age or Golden Access) is required when recreating on National Forest land in Red Rock Country"

But as I said, for a measly 9 bucks, or 18, I'm not gonna stand on ceremony

@Rox - thanks for the heads up, glad I dont have to search around town for one - I will get one at the gate and if I use it more than once then great, and if I dont, then no big deal - the money goes towards a worthy cause

Edited: 12 June 2013, 12:17
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

This thread is old, but I'm here because I'm just as confused as the others.

What is a "Big Three Annual Pass" for $40? Where do you get one?

I did a Google search on "Big Three Annual Pass" and all I got were the Coconino National Forest pages that reference "Big Three Annual Pass" and this TripAdvisor thread.

Does "Big Three Annual Pass" refer to the Interagency Pass which has three types, one for regular people ($80), one for active military (free), and one for Senior US Citizens ($10 for life)?

It would seem that this is what is meant by "Big Three Annual Pass," but maybe not.

It sure would be helpful if the Coconino NFS website specified the three passes by name (rather than using the euphemism "Big Three") and if it gave a link to somewhere explaining how one obtains such a pass if the pass they are referencing is not the Interagency pass.

Sedona is lovely, but the confusing pass system makes it a lot less lovely than it could be.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 00:27
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,537 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Federal Interagency Pass - America The Beautiful

I believe the Big 3 is Crescent Moon, Slide Rock and West Fork. Not positive though.