We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West fork/slide rock

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
West fork/slide rock

Does it make sense to do both in the same day? Going to AZ in early July with two kids under 10.

If so, when would you need to be at slide rock in order to get in(if it closes up)

We would be going on a Monday or Tuesday and not a weekend.

In early July, how cold is the water at Slide Rock?

**** Will be heading to RR Crossing a couple days earlier(Saturday) right after going on Pink Jeeps tour & getting something to eat at New Frontiers. I have determined one of my first orders of business in Arizona is to buy a cooler and fill it with ice and water and have it ready to go on many picnics with family.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,210 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West fork/slide rock

It makes perfect sense to do both in the same day. They are relatively close to each other. I'd go up and hike at West Fork in the morning. You'll have opportunities to get wet there too, but not like the swimming and playing you can do at Slide Rock.

You'll run a risk of having to wait to get into the SRSP later in the day, but you'll have options for parking elsewhere if you don't mind scrambling down to the creek. But do park safely, completely off the pavement, and be very careful of traffic as you get in and out of your car.

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West fork/slide rock

Thanks. How far is the Indian food market from slide rock(to get some stuff for picnic at slide rock)

Also, worth driving up oak creek canyon while in Sedona or just see it on way to Grand Canyon?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,210 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West fork/slide rock

They are within a few miles of each other.

I never turn down a chance to drive the canyon. But why ask that question if you're planning a full day's worth of activity there?

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West fork/slide rock

Thanks. How far is the Indian food market from slide rock(to get some stuff for picnic at slide rock)

Also, worth driving up oak creek canyon while in Sedona or just see it on way to Grand Canyon?

Good question. I just read you chatting it up so many times. Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,210 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West fork/slide rock

Clarifying my reply number 3.

To be exact it's 3 miles from Slide Rock SP to Indian Garden. You're planning a full day of activity in Oak Creek Canyon. That's one day. Why are you asking if you should drive it again, in addition to when you depart for the GCNP? As I said, I never skip an opportunity to drive the canyon, but with your limited time in Sedona there are other paces to go and see too.

NJ
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West fork/slide rock

Agree. Pulled out a map and noted where all the places were including Indian deli.

You are right and stay in Sedona area. For srsp, when will the parking lot get full on a Monday or Tuesday in early July ? Will hike at west fork and get picnic lunch at Indian deli, Sedona memories or the natural food deli. Based on your recommendation, will check out west fork with kids. Staying at hilton too and hot lucky with thunderbird at gcnp. BThanks again!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,210 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West fork/slide rock

No way to know when SRSP lot will fill, but weekdays are better than weekends. Sedona Memories doesn't open until 11AM. No point in going all the way back to town at that hour.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 04:08
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West fork/slide rock

You may easily have more fun at West Fork and a much less crowded situation there as well. You have plenty of safe creek opportunities at West Fork for the children.

Although Slide Rock is a natural water slide, it is natural and not safety tested. You use it at your own risk and your children are on the young side IMO. I would be more upset to miss West Fork than Slide Rock.

9. Re: West fork/slide rock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17