We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Rock Loop Question

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Red Rock Loop Question

Hello All -

We're headed to Sedona in late September and I'm putting together our agenda, and I have a quick question about Red Rock Loop.

One day on our itinerary, we're planning on going to Jerome, and I wanted to have a light breakfast, so we could have lunch at the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome. But my question is this:

If we head to Jerome in the morning, I don't want to get there too early before things are opening up, so I was wanting to maybe do a scenic drive before we head out of town. I was wondering about driving the "Red Rock Loop" on our way out of Sedona.

Can someone explain to me if Red Rock Loop is in fact a "scenic drive" or is this a hiking trail?

If it IS a scenic drive, about how long does it take to do the loop (adding in stops for sights and photo shoots)?

I apologize ahead of time, as I'm just starting to learn and plan and get my bearings. Thanks so much.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
366 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Rock Loop Question

I might need to clarify myself...from the map I'm looking at, I mean FR216.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Rock Loop Question

I'm not familiar with FR 216 but Red Rock Loop Road off of Route 89A heading toward Cottonwood is indeed a scenic drive which loops back to Route 89A. A small part of it is unpaved but very driveable in a normal car. It's certainly a nice detour on the way to Jerome but not very long. If you're concerned about getting to Jerome too early you may also consider stopping at Tuzigoot National Park

in Clarkdale. It's on the way to Jerome and a great stop for Indian ruins.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Rock Loop Question

It has a couple of pull overs where you can get great views of Cathedral Rock.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Rock Loop Question

Red Rock Loop Drive is worth stops at several different times including sunset. It will be a short detour on your drive to Jerome. I also agree Tuzigoot is also an interesting stop Palatki ruins, near Sedona, also has rock art to view.

5. Re: Red Rock Loop Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:20