We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Topic
Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

My husband and I will be traveling to Sedona from the Phoenix airport and staying in Sedona for 4 days (July 12-15). I'm currently working on out itinerary and would love input, especially around which trail(s) to hike. We are not hikers but thought it would be fun to get out and explore.

Day 1 - Travel from Phoenix to Sedona

NEED Lunch suggestions

Stop at Montezuma Castle on the way

Arrive Sediona

Hike (need suggestions)

Dinner Cucina Rustica??

Day 2 -

Trolley ride to get familiar with Sedona

Lunch during trolley ride

Take Hike (need suggestions)

See Vortex (maybe take a tour)

Day 3

Grand Canyon Tour

Day 4

Visit Art Galleries and Shops/Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village/Uptown

Lunch

Travel back to Phoenix late afternoon for the night

NEED Dinner suggestions in Phoenix

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,820 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

Hiking in the early morning will be much cooler. Mid to late afternoon is the hottest time of the day.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

It really depends on the temperature. My husband still hikes starting at 5:30 a.m., but is not seeing many people during this extreme heat. Check the weather online, e.g. Accuweather before you go.

If it's not too hot, you could hike West Fork which is in Oak Creek Canyon and is cooler. Be sure to take plenty of water and drink every 10 minutes. Also take sunscreen and a cell phone and wear comfortable shoes.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 20:53
Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,904 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
100 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

We have a pretty similar plan for July 4-7, will let you know how it goes. Where area of PHX for dinner recommendations? I can recommend a few spots in Scottsdale.

Mentioned in this post
Scottsdale
Scottsdale
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

In addition to hiking in the morning due to heat, it is also monsoon season. That means possibilities of short afternoon rainshowers.

If you can wait until about one hour north of Phoenix, stop at Rock Springs Cafe for lunch.

I like Montezuma's Well also. Ask at the Castle how to get there. You might want to stop at the Ranger Station Visitors Center on the way into Sedona to get more info like a hiking map.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

Afternoon and early evening is the hottest time of the day. Do your hiking in the morning.

Put West Fork on your hike itinerary. It's the coolest hike in the summer. Shade and cool creek water make it unique

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

Thanks would love to know how your trip goes!

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

As others have said, early morning is the time to hike. I was just up there last week and it was too hot to hike when I arrived at 10:30 am. Another alternative is to hike in Oak Creek Canyon to take advantage of shade. Beware of elevation gain, that can overheat you too. Last week on my second day of hiking, I went up to AZ Snow Bowl and hiked Kachina trail. It's at 9200 ft elevation and beautiful. It's only about an hour drive from Sedona. Make sure you carry plenty of water.

Mentioned in this post
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,904 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

I would definitely not try to hike the day you leave Phoenix. You could drive to Sedona thru Cottonwood and see Tuzigoot National Monument, or just plan to stop and take photos of Bell Rock, Courthouse Butte, etc as you drive in to Sedona, or maybe Red Rock State Park. The next day I would hike West Fork in the morning, getting an early start, and then do the trolley tour in the afternoon.

You didn't mention Pink Jeep tours. We haven't done that - maybe others could comment on if that would be doable in the heat the afternoon you arrive in Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Tuzigoot National Monument
Tuzigoot National...
577 Reviews
Clarkdale, AZ
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,929 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Red Rock State Park
Red Rock State Park
1,347 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
7,956 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
9. Re: Sedona in July, too hot for hiking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:17