We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl's getaway to Sedona

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Girl's getaway to Sedona

Hi, I'm looking to get some more info on staying in Sedona in October for a girl's getaway. I've been before but would like to know of maybe a down-to-earth hotel, not super touristy, and more adults than kids. Would like to get a few spa treatments in for the gals but not break the bank. It's pretty pricey from what I have seen so far.

Also, is the jeep tours a necessity? What about the Verde Canyon Railways? Are these must-see's?

Last time I went, we stayed in town, drove to Tlaquepaque which is awesome and got our aura's read. It was pretty cool, but now I'm adding a couple more ladies and a full weekend.

Any suggestions?

M Diamond Ranch
Sightseeing Tours
Sedona Sacred Earth
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Great West Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

Can you give us a budget? October is one of the most popular times to visit Sedona. Weekends sell out completely. Hotel rates will be at premium levels. Take a look at Amara and Sedona Rouge, and consider some of the local B&Bs. It's important that you make your choices soon. Many of the best places are probably booked already.

IMO the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour is the best investment you can make with your time and money for fun, views and information about Sedona. I advise reservations well in advance. The VCRR is a cool ride, but I put it about day 5 of a week long stay in Sedona, behind the Grand Canyon. If you don't have that much time then I'd focus on attractions closer to Sedona instead of going farther away.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

Also check out Sky Ranch Lodge. It is a bit out of the way, quiet, and homey. Older, but clean and rooms have microwaves and small refrigerators.

I definitely agree with RedRox about Pin Jeep Broken arrow tour and the VCRR. We always do both when we are there for a week with new people (friends and relatives usually join us for our visits to Sedona. So, for a weekend, skip the VCRR. Do visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross, a very serene experience.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 01:30
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
449 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

Check out Sedona Rouge. Small, friendly staff, nicely appointed. They have a spa, too, on site. You can walk to several restaurants and shops close by. And Mike, "homey" is a good way to describe Sky Ranch Lodge. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms outdated but that's what makes it homey. If you do end up at Sky Ranch Lodge, there are several day spas to get a massage etc.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

Thank you all for your responses. I will look into the places mentioned. Budget... I'd say maybe $300 for 2 nights, split by 3 and then an extra amount for any spa services depending on what service each person wants. Average cost $100 or less for at least an hour massage. I have two people, including myself coming from Cali, flying into Phoenix. The other person is local to Phoenix area, so we will be driving up to Sedona.

We don't need any over the top luxury hotel, but definitely not a dive. Something middle of the road & if it includes coffee or some snacks in the morning that would be great.

What about "Ales on Rails"? Has anyone done this? If so, is it worth it? Or would it be better just to grab a couple beers someplace else?

Also, is the vortex something that one must try and experience?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,858 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

With only one full day and a desire for spa time you don't really have time for a railroad journey and I wouldn't advise leaving Sedona in your short time anyway.

There is no such thing as 'the vortex'. There is an energy in Sedona and you will feel it or you won't. I wouldn't advise trying to find a specific spot. They don't exist.

Again I'll stress the importance of booking soon. October is a very popular month. Many of the best accommodations are probably booked already. And don't be surprised to find many spas booked solid already.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 23:24
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

Thanks RedRox - we will book soon! I'm sure we will find other things to do during our stay: shopping, wine tasting or head to the brewery, sightseeing, etc.

7. Re: Girl's getaway to Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:18