We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona to Page?

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona to Page?

We have a trip planned late this month. We fly into PHX early on Friday morning. Have reservations in Sedona for the week. Based upon all of your comments and recommendations here – our plans in Sedona are to probably take a hike every morning focusing on different areas. We plan to do the jeeps, take a scenic drive around the area one day, maybe have a picnic one day somewhere in/near one of the parks that have some water, take another drive one day maybe heading to Jerome. I don’t think that we will run out of things to do in and around Sedona.

Our current plans are to skip out of our timeshare a day early and head to the Grand Canyon Thursday morning. Based on recommendations, we plan to take the day to head up and into the east entrance of GCNP via Cameron. Maybe hitting Sunset Crater and Wupatki Nat Mon. Then spend the rest of the afternoon traveling towards the village where we have reserved a room for two nights in the park. On Friday we plan to go from the GC Village out to Hermits Rest and maybe a short hike down one of the trails. Getting up Saturday morning, checking out and take the day to get back to PHX for an 11PM flight back home. Going back to Phoenix thru another route maybe?

My question is, I have a nagging feeling that we should somehow squeeze in some time in Page. Pictures of Glen Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and the Antelope Canyons make me think that we just need to go there! I used the detour as an excuse not to plan anything in Page, but it doesn’t sound like it is that much trouble. And I’ve read as much as I can, and it sounds like we really need more than a day to do Page justice. But I’m not that sure that I want to take another day off of Sedona or the Grand Canyon. Two days seem like we might have too much time in the GCNP as we aren’t serious hikers, but one day sure doesn’t seem like enough! And I really wanted to take advantage of the fact that we were actually able to get two nights in the park. And two days seem like a nice leisurely way to do it.

Would you – and would it be feasible to skip out of Sedona another day early (we will have had four full days there), go straight to Page from Sedona on Wednesday very very early morning to catch the only rafting trip this time of year at 10:30? Maybe then hit Horseshoe Bend later that afternoon. Spend the night in Page, hit the first Antelope Canyon tour Thursday morning and then head back down to the GC’s East Entrance, stopping in Cameron. And then we could follow out original itinerary.

I’m slightly concerned about the early morning drive to Page – and already feeling a little sad to skip out of Sedona another day early. Just not sure when I will be able to come back!

Thanks for any comments! After spending weeks on these boards, thought that all of my questions would be answered, but they just make me want to see more! :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona to Page?

I would head to Page while at GC, if you find that it suits you. A day trip to Page from Sedona is too much.

If you are like many of us, you won't want to cut short your time in Sedona. There are plenty of shorter day trips available as well if you need a diversion.

You don't want to spend too much of your time in the car. Adding Page to the mix might do just that.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,840 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona to Page?

Agreeing. If you want to go to Page, drop the second night at the GCNP and go up from there.

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona to Page?

Thank you both for your commenst! I'm still a bit torn, but leaning towards taking your advice and just staying in Sedona! I wasn't really trying to make Page a day trip from Sedona. Just thought since I was already headed to GCNP for a few days I could check out earlier and use one of my Sedona days to see some more beautiful norhtern AZ sights. Because of the limited rafting schedule in Page this time of year, it would be for sure an early morning drive to get to Page before 10:30am, with that trip taking up most of our day, leaving us just a few hours before sunset and the next morning to see a few things in Page. And then still off to the GCNP using the east entrance as RedRox has suggested a million times! That way I wouldn't be shorting the GCNP any time at all.

If we were to get up early and head to Page - with the detour or temp road, about how long would you think it would take? We obviously wouldn't have time to stop and take in any sights on the way there.

Thank you both for your time - and thank you ReRrox for answering the same questions over and over and over! :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,840 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona to Page?

I suggest the east entrance to GCNP when it makes sense, not because it's so much more dramatic. In your case, if you really want to visit Page, I would take one of your nights away from the GCNP for Page, not from Sedona, and I would enter the park via the main gate and LEAVE via the east gate to go on to Page.

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona to Page?

Thanks again for your help. I guess either way we would be rushing to get to Page before the requested 10:30am checkin time for the Page raft trip. We would either be losing a day in Sedona, checking out and driving in the dark to get to Page on Wed or trying to squeeze the entire GCNP all in one day, since we would have to leave the park at dawn to get to Page by 10:30 also!

6. Re: Sedona to Page?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 06:34