We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 9/21 - 9/25

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntingdon Valley...
Level Contributor
236 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

After 9 long months of designing, budgeting, contracting and dealing with the City and the HOA I am pleased to report we finally have a hole in the ground and even some rebar in place! Anyone who has questions about the building process in Sedona please feel free to PM me. My wife and I visited from this past Saturday until Weds to check on the progress and search out new places to see and eat in our soon to be hometown. I will try a different format than my previous trip reports.

Old Favorites:

1. We stayed at L'Auberge for the 4th time. This time in a Vista Cottage instead of the Spa Cottages we have been in before. We really do love this place. The service can't be beat and we are getting to know the folks there by name. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone considering a vacation stay/splurge. When there DO NOT MISS the "star gazing" they do 3 or so nights per week. The astronomer sets up a 9' long reflecting telescope on the parking deck and, without computer or GPS guidance, just points it at deep space objects within seconds. His contagious enthusiasm now has me reading about astronomy and planning on buying a scope when we move.

2. Coffeepot Restaurant - We passed on this place the last few times we were in town in favor of checking out other breakfast joints. They really do have one of the best affordable breakfasts in town. Even going on a Sunday morning the wait was only about 15 min. Sure it is touristy but good inexpensive (for Sedona) food is good food.

3. Westside Lilo's - Although not in Sedona, if you are driving in from Las Vegas, as we did again this trip, this is a must stop in Seligman, about 1/2 of the way between the two. Freshly prepared, huge portions, low prices, what more can one ask for?

4. Trailhead Tea - I am glad to see this place thriving. Dan and Eileen have built a great place to try and buy all sorts of teas and herbal infusions. I had to restock a favorite I bought last trip.

New Experiences:

1. Harding Spring - Speaking of Dan and Eileen, they recommended we visit Harding Spring. I am sure it has been mentioned here but I don't recall seeing it recently. If you are driving up Oak Creek Canyon this is worth a few minute stop. If northbound towards Flagstaff, it can be found about 1/2 mile past mileage post 386 on the left side. There is a small pull over. If you blink, you may miss the stone pillar that contains the spring. Basically, it is an artesian spring that has been re-routed under 89A and into some pipes placed within a small stone protective pillar. There are two spouts coming out of the stone that just pour fresh, cool spring water 24/7. People pull over and just fill up jugs with this stuff. Try it. It will give you a taste of what water was like hundreds of years ago.

2. Harry's Hideaway - Yes, I can thank RedRox for this one (and I let them know it RR). We had dinner there with some friends on Tuesday evening. It really is hidden away and very easy to miss it while driving down Cornville Road. If coming off of 89A it will be on your left tucked into a small strip. This is the definition of a "Mom and Pop" shop with Harry running the kitchen and Adele (I think that was her name) running the front of the house. Their pork shanks are justifiably famous and all of the food was excellent but their homemade desserts were a real standout.

3. Indian Gardens Café - Another excellent RR suggestion. We had breakfast there Tuesday morning. You just order at the register, grab a seat in the enclosed "gardens" out back and they bring you the food. It is a peaceful, quiet setting un the Canyon just about 5 minutes from Uptown and well worth the short drive. The food was well prepared and excellent. You can also stock up on some groceries and baked good while there.

4. The Field - A newcomer next to New Frontiers grocery store in West Sedona. They specialize in "conscious cuisine" which I assume means organic, local and heavily slanted towards veggie, but with a menu that includes burgers, grilled chicken, etc. In fact, our friend with whom we had lunch and who lives in town declared his burger the best he has had in Sedona. The grilled chicken sandwich was also a standout.

5. Hikes - We did two. The morning after we arrived we did a short hike on Jordan Trail since it is very close to our property. Afterwards, I asked my wife to remind me NOT to do a hike the first day we arrive to give our flatlander bodies a chance to acclimate to 4500 ft! After about a mile in, I felt I had just completed a cardiac stress test, which, fortunately, I passed! Just some friendly advice to other baby boomers coming from sea level, even in you are in some sort of decent shape...take it easy at first. We also hiked Coffeepot Trail, an unmarked trail we found in the book "55 Great Sedona Hikes". It comes off of Teacup and the Sugarloaf trailheads right in West Sedona. It is relatively flat and only about 2.5 miles in and out. Don't be put off by the initial climb. It gets flatter after that.

That should do it for now. If I think of anything else we did, I will add some more comments.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Harry's Hideway is indeed one of the most satisfying dining experiences I've ever had ... just had another one of those actually, at Elote, also in Sedona. These two are must-eats, so to speak.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Very nice TR Sedona is pretty my friends visit out there and simply love it.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Thanks for your update and your Old favorites and New places. Good format. You must be so excited to actually progress on your home now.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Sorry we missed you again but I expect our oaths to cross soon. I'm leaving Sedona on Tuesday for a TA friends gathering in Escalante, but returning mid Oct. Then I'll be around for a couple of months. Let me know when you return to observe the construction.

I guess I better go check out The Field.

Huntingdon Valley...
Level Contributor
236 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

I had seen on your Facebook page that you were visiting your Dad back East. I didn't know if you would be back in time. I have a meeting in Phoenix on the 21st, so we are planning to come up after that and be in the week of Thanksgiving, assuming I can arrange flights and a hotel. I will let you know when it is finalized and maybe we can actually meet you guys in person.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Sounds like a plan. Sedona is gorgeous right now!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

Thanks for the trip/restaurant report. Good luck on your continuing construction project! I know you'll breathe a sigh of relief when everything is done.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

We just completed our first trip to Sedona. We stopped at Trailhead tea for any afternoon treat. The tea was great and the owner was even better. We discussed trails to hike, sunset spots, and home making wine and kombucha. Great experience.

9. Re: Trip Report 9/21 – 9/25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:18