We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

We'd like to stop in Jerome for lunch on our way to Sedona with our kids this Friday, and I'm wondering if there's a better route than what I googled. The directions I found take us up I-17 to 260. Is that the best (or only!) way to go?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

There is only one highway into Jerome, so you either have to go through Cottonwood on 260, or through Prescott on 89. 89/89A is much more scenic, but it's a detour. But if you have an extra 90 minutes or so, then it's a very nice drive. Take I-17 to AZ 74 to US 60 though. If you take US 60 from Downtown Phoenix, it takes a very long time because of the number of traffic lights.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

You don't say what time you will arrive at PHX or if you have any time constraints, other than lunch in Jerome. I will be there later this month and my original plan, which I might revisit due to the gov't shutdown, was to go thru Wickenburg and Prescott, then Jerome and on to Sedona. I changed that up because we wanted to visit the V Bar V Heritage Site, but it is now closed along with many other stops we had planned.

The longer route was recommended by several regular posters on this board, but it does take longer and I doubt you'd get to Jerome in time for lunch. You would leave PHX and take I-60 W to a little past Wickenburg, then AZ-89 N to Prescott. After a short jaunt on AZ-69, you end up on AZ-89A into Jerome.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

I guess I took too long goofing around with my post and drinking my coffee. LOL

I was not aware of the information provided by colinaz, but I will also take it under advisement...the part about an alternate rout to US 60!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

I would take Hwy 60 to 93 to 89 to Prescott, then to 89A through Jerome. It takes more time but the drive is nice once you hit 89. Hwy 60 is a bunch of traffic signals for a while, but not horrible. If you have not picked a spot for lunch, Bobby D's BBQ has very good pulled pork in Jerome!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

If you want to avoid us60 you also can drive on I10 west of Phx to loop 303 to 60 and Wickenburg. The drive Colin mentioned on 74 along Lake Pleasant is a nice drive as well. We also try to avoid 60 as much as possible.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

Loop 303 is in the midst of a major construction project. It will be a full freeway when completed but, in the meantime, I usually do not recommend people drive on it unless they have to. If you're interested: azdot.gov/projects/…loop-303-north-of-i-10

7. Re: Scenic route to Jerome from Phoenix airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:22