We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Advice

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Amana, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Advice

Planning on doing a day trip to Sedona on Saturday Oct. 19th. Already have a Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour booked for 2:00 so we have that covered. We are also arriving via the Oak Creek Canyon Route, so plan on taking in the scenery there as well. Just want to know what we can cram in our short time there that is considered a must see or do. LOVE scenery and don't mind walking trails etc...and of course if there is a place that offers nice souvenir shopping thats always great to. Pretty much open to whatever, but just want to be able to cram as much into our short time as we can. Any and all advice is welcomed and thanks so much for your responses in advance.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Advice

The drive through Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful, especially at this time of year. A possible stop in your short time here would be the Indian Gardens, which is where Sedona was first settled. They have sandwiches and pastries, and you can eat them outside on the patio.

With such limited time I would probably spend time driving through Sedona, taking the Pink Jeep tour and making a few stops to take pictures. If you had enough time for hikes, best bets would be West Fork in the canyon or Bell Rock in the Village of Oak Creek. I hope you'll be able to go south on 179 on the Scenic Byway to see the red rock formations.

If you are going to Phoenix at the end of your day, you will take the Scenic Byway (179) from Sedona to the Village and on to I17. It would be the long way to return to Flagstaff (I17 N), but well worth the drive.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Advice

Don't miss a visit to the Chapel of the Holy Cross and Red Rock Crossing.

South Amana, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Advice

Where exactly is Red Rock Crossing? My husband and I were in Sedona several years ago and walked to Cathedral Rock via a trail that was located down a somewhat on the edge of town road. We walked the trail for about a mile or so give or take, which took us to the base of Cathedral Rock. If I remember correctly, I believe I saw people on the opposite side we were on, a local lady said that was an easier vantage point to get to Cathedral Rock. When I look up info on Red Rock Crossing it mentions Cathedral Rock, so I'm a bit confused as to where that is and if this is the same place we were at several years ago. Probably sounds confusing as I'm trying to explain this, but I guess in the end I just kind of want to know where this Red Rock Crossing is and why is this a must do?

Edited: 07 October 2013, 22:15
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Advice

The Chapel of the Holy Cross is the number one must see in Sedona. It is world famous and you will remember it for the rest of your life.

South Amana, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Advice

Thanks so much for your input. We're planning on runnin our legs off to see as much as we can, but also try and make it a quality day as well!!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Advice

If you were near the base of Cathedral Rock and the edge of Oak Creek, then you were at or near Red Rock Crossing. The iconic photo of Cathedral Rock with Oak Creek in the forground is taken from the park at north side of the Crossing, accessed from the Red Rock Loop road.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Advice

Red Rock Crossing/Crescent Moon Ranch Picnic Area is off of Red Rock Loop Road which intersects Route 89A by the Sedona High School. You take Red Rock Loop Road to a left on Chavez Ranch road which takes you to Red Rock Crossing. There is a fee to enter. It is not the same place as Red Rock State Park which is further along Red Rock Loop road. A lot of the iconic pictures of Cathedral are taken from Red Rock Crossing. Oak Creek runs right next to Red Rock Crossing so wading is possible if the water isn't too cold. Besides the picnic area, there a a number of nice walking trails by the creek, including one to Buddha Beach where people have built hundreds of cairns.

You can not get to Cathedral Rock from Red Rock Crossing without crossing the creek. If you saw Cathedral Rock and didn't have to cross the creek you were probably across from Red Rock Crossing. Templeton Trail goes along the bottom part of Cathedral Rock and then down a number of switchbacks to the creek across from Red Rock Crossing. You can also get to Templeton Trail from Baldwin Trail which is a loop off of the end of Verde Valley Road. Hope this helps. These areas are definitely worth seeing.

South Amana, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Advice

This kind of clears it up for me and thanks so much for your input. Your time is much appreciated in trying to acclamate me as to where Red Rock Crossing is. I'm pretty sure we must have accessed Cathedral Rock from the other side, as when we hiked to Cathedral Rock we did not cross the creek, however walked parallel to it for a short way. Once again, thanks so much!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,879 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Advice

If you walked parallel to the creek then you started your hike within 300 yards of Red Rock Crossing

South Amana, Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Advice

Thanks RedRox, that's me, always just a little bit off the mark, lol. Thanks for your posts and ideas, have a wonderful week!