We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Rockport...
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Hi all. Very much enjoying this forum which is invaluable when planning a trip blind. My husband, myself and our 15 year old son will be spending Thanksgiving week in Sedona for the first time.

I have a few priorities when choosing accommodations and would value advice now that I have narrowed it down. If I could find a place that hits all or most of the following wish list we'll be all set. They are: balcony or patio with a beautiful view, outdoor hot tub for star gazing, wood burning fireplace, a walk or short drive to good restaurants, clean and comfortable rooms with really nice sheets and towels and room service. I'm honestly not spoiled I just really, really love a great hotel

Both the Hyatt Pinon Pointe and Enchantment hit all of these but the price difference is ... a lot. I understand that the Hyatt is not exactly in Sedona but the village of Oak Creek. Still the views look gorgeous and I have read that the village has some great restaurants and is a little quieter.

Because of the price alone I am leaning to the Hyatt but after seeing Sally's photos and reading her report I am wondering if it might make sense to split our time- 3 days at the Hyatt with all the amenities we are hoping for and 3 days at Enchantment in one of their lower priced rooms (which are higher than the Hyatt rate with everything).

Is the difference between staying in Oak Creek or Sedona that significant? Would we regret not experiencing Enchantment if we had the chance?

Rockport...
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Yikes! I posted the wrong name. I was speaking of the Hilton in Oak Creek, not the Hyatt! My apologies. I do not see a feature to go back and edit my mistake. Sorry for any confusion!

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Julie--you might also look at the Vista Suites at L'Auberge. I actually like that location better than Enchantment--at Enchantment you have to get in your car to do anything else, while at L'Auberge you an choose to walk to other dining/entertainment but still have views and peace and quiet.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Thanks GTT! I've gone back into the TA archives and found some posts advising Enchantment over the Hilton. Enquiring at Enchantment this morning the rate jumps $200 per room on the 27th because of Thanksgiving. I think we'll book Enchantment Sat 11/23 -11/27 then stay somewhere else on the 27th and 28th. I'll see if 'LAuberge has availability. I know it's kind of late for booking a holiday.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

If you are booking that many nights you should be able to squeeze them for a discount. I suggest you contact the General Manager direct by phone and ask for a deal. If he knows you are going to move I am willing to bet he will cut you a break.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

So why not choose the Hyatt?

Rockport...
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Hadn't thought of asking for a discount figuring it was a holiday week but will give it a try, thanks!

Red Rox, the Hyatt looks very nice but Enchantment appealed to me more. Just one note on Hyatt- I find thier website very annoying with a pop up reservation window that won't let you x it out so it blocks the main page and photo slides.

Adobe Grand Villas look great, too.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

You do realize that it is a fairly long drive to any shopping and restaurants from Enchantment. Have you also looked at Best Western Arroyo Roble?

Rockport...
Level Contributor
273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

Thanks Mike. According to mapquest it looks like a 20-30 minute drive from Enchantment to downtown. Would you say that was pretty close to accurate? I'm thinking the trade off would be that being out of town would make the night sky look brighter. So many nice places to choose from.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

I suggest you might try playing one hotel off the other. The General Managers know each other and are in fierce competition. You are really in a good position because you are not just coming in for a night or two. I bet both of them will work with you to win your business. Beat them up on the price and then go for the upgrades and comps.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 19:07
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Sedona- Thanksgiving week

20-30 minutes is about right. There will definitely be somewhat less light pollution at Enchantment, but Sedona has taken some steps to be one of very few cities to be designated as a "Dark Sky City", so light pollution in not a big problem. Maybe a local can give an update on the progress:

redrocknews.com/City-News/sedona-aims-for-da…