We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

I read in a posting that the Chamber of Commerce have said you don't need to buy a Red Rocks Pass during the Government shutdown - is this correct???

We had planned on buying an America the Beautiful Pass on a first day of our long awaited 3 week trip around the National Parks but might hold off on that I think!!

After 12months of planning , it is hard to believe we will be finally leaving New Zealand in a couple of days - first stop Sedona - RedRox will be pleased to hear Sedona is on the winning end of the shutdown- like a lot of others I am sure- we have extended our stay in Sedona to cover our 2nights booked at the GC which seems very unlikely to happen - very sad about this but cannot wait to see Sedona.

Jersey Shore, NJ
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

It's true. The machines at all of the spots requiring the pass are turned off. They have a sign saying they are out of order during the gov't shutdown. You cannot buy a Red Rocks pass right now. However places like Call of the Csnyon/ West Fork that are open have the guys at the gate collecting their usual fee.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

Thanks for confirming that....nice to save a few dollars where you can although would still much rather pay the fee and have the National Parks open

3. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2013, 16:06
Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

I believe that they have closed the kiosks because the sections of the forest that charge are required by law to have certain facilities like bathrooms. Since no one is maintaining the facilities there is no charge. (Those are national forests.) My husband hikes these areas a lot, and the parking lots have still been open so far.

Since the America the Beautiful pass covers national parks, it is good to hold off on buying that until things change.

As far as I know you can still go to the state parks, which would include Slide Rock State Park and Red Rock State Park in Sedona as well as many others here and in other states.

Good luck! I hope things work out for you.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 07:49
East Coast
Level Contributor
250 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

>>>>Tomorrow West Fork, Grasshopper Point and Crescent Moon are slated to be closed. That simply means traffic jams on the roads where cars will be forced to park on the shoulders and visitors will walk into the parks that WE own.

Poop...I take it we'll still be able to enjoy the West Fork Trail, but may have to walk a bit from the road to reach it? We arrive Sat and were planning to stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way up from Phoenix and it stinks we can't go there (can you still see it from an accessible area?), but I was looking forward to this hike more than anything.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 11:58
Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

I confused RR...why is West Fork being closed? I thought it was state controlled.

7. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 11:35
8. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

9. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???

10. Re: Is Red Rocks Pass required during Govt Shutdown???