We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

I have been reading a lot on the forums in order to start planning for our 2014 trip - the more I read, the more I want to see, but that has resulted in a lot of driving! We are flexible with dates but thinking of arriving mid-late October and would appreciate advice on initial thoughts for time in each place. We don't have to do in this order - open to suggestions on this. We will probably fly in/out of Las Vegas, but can be flexible on this (as we will book internal flights to/from SFO). We have up to 3 weeks for this. This is what I have come up with so far:

Zion - 2 nights

Bryce - 1 night

Monument Valley - 2 nights

Page - 2 nights

Grand Canyon - 2 nights

Sedona - 5 nights

Las Vegas - 2 nights

Any suggestions on where to add more nights? Would it be feasible to include Arches as well?

Many thanks for any advice.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 01:28
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Your plan is a good one. Adding Arches means adding Moab so you could include Canyonlands NP, Dead Horse Point SP and other attractions there. I'd add at least 4 more days to make that happen. It would logically be just before or after Monument Valley

Edited: 21 October 2013, 01:46
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Thanks Redrox - lots to think about !

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

From Bryce you can drive to Torrey for he night via hw12 and see some of Capitol Reef NP. Then decided if you want to go to Moab or not. What you also can do is drive from Torrey via Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway and Gooseneck SP to Monument Valley. In your outlined plan it will be better to go to Page before Monument Valley. You seldomly need 2 nights in Monument Valley. Page-MV is just a 2.5 hours drive.

Tet

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

If you take one night from Monument Valley (one night is plenty there) and (this won't be a popular suggestion) one night from Sedona, you could have two nights in Moab, with time to see all the great things around there.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Thanks Tet14 and TxOffWeGo, for your suggestions.

Tet14 - I had actually been thinking about whether we should spend a night in Torrey, so I will look into that further and I will reconsider the nights spent in MV.

We can add on some extra nights for the drive tour, as we were planning on having a few days in SFO before flying back to NZ, so I can reduce that city time (or maybe even eliminate it), so that we can take in Moab as well, as I would like to keep Sedona at 5 nights. Hubby will be very happy to eliminate city days :). We are planning 4 weeks away from NZ in total.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

This might be of use to you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

The link will take you to a travel article on touring the Grand Circle. There are links to other TA resources imbedded in the article such as sample routes and itineraries that are part of the Utah forum top questions. Give it a read.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Thanks for the link OhioHick - what a fantastic lot of information, this will definitely be very helpful.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

If you are not coming back soon I certainly would recommend to add the Moab area.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

Thanks Tet - we are not likely to be coming back soon (the downside of living at the bottom of the world!).

Sorry to ask another silly question, but if we added in Tolley and Moab, do we do Page before or after Monument Valley?

Amended plan looks like this. We are aiming for Zion beginning of October, but I plan to get the GCNP and MV booked first (and soon!) and work from there.

Zion - 2 or 3 nights

Bryce - 1 night

Tolley - 1 night

Moab - 3 nights

Monument Valley - 1 night

Page - 2 nights

GCNP - 2 nights

Sedona - 5 nights

Thanks so much for any comments.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Circle tour - help with time and route please

With that plan, Page would logically follow Monument Valley. It's about a 2-3 hour drive.